Rescue Dream.

While I rarely have recurring dreams in exact form while sleeping, I do often have recurring themes to my dreams. Most often, they include:
  • Swimming
  • Water
  • Stairs/Ladders
  • Airplanes
  • Airports
  • University and forgetting to attend a class all semester
But the one theme that always freaks me out a little when I have it is the "rescue" dream.

No. I've never been much of the "damsel in distress" type in real life. And I'm not that way nocturnally either. In my dreams, I am helping rescue babies, people, humanity... You name it. It's always something big and bad ass, never anything small.

Apparently, in my nocturnal dreams, I do far more significant things. In my nocturnal dreams, I am kind of a big deal. And when I wake up from my dreams, I always think, "What the what? Why would anyone put me in charge of rescuing that baby/building/Universe?"

I stress in the dream. I don't understand why it is that I have to be the one to figure out how to solve the problem. I do it, and calmly. On the inside, though, I am riddled with anxiety.

But, as I have mentioned many times before, your dreams are just your brain's way of trying to recharge and help you let go of all the mental crap that you've collected and don't need. And when I have dreams about rescuing people and stuff, it's my brain's way of telling me...

"You think too much that everything depends on you... That things make or break with you. Stop thinking that. Start focusing on you."

One of these days, soon - je vous promets - I will allow myself to be the one being rescued. Or, perhaps, I will ignore the calls for help... And just go about my business. The world will not end if I don't rescue it.

Comments

Elisa said…
Oh, I could read posts about people's dreams all day. Your list of common dreams is very familiar to me, by the way, and whatever the setting, it's always an anxiety dream--late, unprepared, etc.

I occasionally have dreams where I'm entrusted with some life form to take care of, but I'm always failing and it usually dies. It sounds like we're the opposite that way :-)

Popular Posts