Some Classes Will Be A Total Shit Show.

I had the worst class of my life this evening. The WORST.

No... I wasn't hot. I didn't even "feel" the heat. I was sick. Acid reflux... Vertigo... All signs that I had something in me that my body was trying to detox.

I felt great at the start of class. But after a few repetitions of Pranayama in the first set, I started to feel sick.

"This is odd," I told myself. "I feel like I want to throw up."

Things progressively got worse in the second set of Pranayama. But I still pushed myself to do all the poses. In fact, I did most of them in the standing series, and did them very strongly. Shit, I even kicked out and got my forehead exactly to my knee in Standing-Head-to-Knee pose. (After serious encouragement from one of my favorite teachers, who was heading the class.)

But I did have to sit down. And any forward-bending killed. Half Tortoise? Rabbit pose? Locust? I could not do any of those. In Floor Bow, I was able to keep a hold of my feet. But I couldn't kick up.

After the first set of Fixed Firm, I almost left the room. Again, not because it was hot. But because I wanted to go into the bathroom and throw up. I didn't leave, though. I stayed.

One of the other regular practitioners was telling me last week how she had a bad class, and felt shamed because she saw it as "regression."

I told her she shouldn't feel that way. "EVERYONE has bad classes. I do. Teachers do. Not every class is the same. You're body is going to react differently each time. Some days will be a total shit how. Some days will be the best you've ever had."

Today was my "shit show" day.

I've written about it on the Bikram 101 blog... But I seem to have developed an intolerance to wheat and fried foods during this challenge. And at lunch today, I had vegetable tempura.

When will I learn? If something hurts my belly, don't eat it.

Comments

bikramyogachick said…
Oh boy. The yoga truck did indeed find you. Glad you pushed through, but it sucks that you felt like such crap! here's hoping today is better....
Chrissy D. said…
We need the "shit show" classes to make us appreciate the classes where we kick ass!

Popular Posts