Bikram Yoga Teacher Training: What To Pack?

Last week, I mailed my application off for the Fall Bikram Yoga Teacher Training session.



This now leaves me a little under four months to memorize all the dialogue and figure out what to pack.

I will be away for nine weeks. In Las Vegas. In a hotel. On the strip.

I will be getting my own room. So I won't have to worry about sharing my personal space with another person. (I snore. I wouldn't wish that on a roommate... To have to try to sleep the little amount of sleep we get through my thunderous snores.) So now, I need to figure what to pack.
  • What appliances should I have in my room to eat?
  • Should I try to pack a drying rack for cleaning my mat and clothes?
  • How many sets of practice clothes should I bring?
  • What kinds of clothes should I have for the lectures?
  • How many mats?
  • How many notebooks should I anticipate needing for note-taking?
And the most important question I have...

Will I get totally made fun of if I bring one of these bad boys?



Maybe I should spend the next four months worrying less about packing and more about how to make it through a two-hour class with no water?

Comments

Anonymous said…
Congrats on taking the plunge!

I took 10 practice outfits, I think, I didn't want to have to worry about laundry much. Other people took less, and handwashed more, so if you are doing that, then the rack is a grand idea. I only took one mat, but my own mat spray to spray it down after class and hung it out to dry.
I'm not familiar with the Vegas set up so I can't say what to take for lecture...we had to sit in a semi hot room all day, same one we practiced in, so we were continually hot...Acapulco had a lecture hall with air conditioning...
As for your water tower...lol, they were orange ones at my training, all over the place. And yes, some teachers may make you regret it ;)
Look forward to hearing your journey!
Chrissy D. said…
You're so funny!

I'm thinking of bringing two yoga mats, 10 yoga outfits, capris and tank tops for the lectures/posture clinics with sweatshirts to put on or take off depending on the temperature, a french press, a kettle that opens so I can boil eggs, and maybe my mini George Foreman Grill.

In terms of water... My two kleen kanteen bottles (40oz and 27 oz) and a big ass thermos like the one in your picture. If I find the two bottles aren't enough, I'll start hulling that one to class.

The drying rack is a good idea and one I've been considering, although I'll probably buy it there. Some hotel rooms have one installed in the bathtub already that you can pull out and use as required... not sure about the Hilton though.

Do you have any other ideas?
Yates said…
I'm so happy for you. You have worked so hard for this. Have a blast! Learn a lot.
Chrissy D. said…
Have you read this blog post?

http://yogabootcamp.blogspot.com/2008/06/my-final-what-to-bring-list.html

Takes all the guess work out of the "what to pack for BKTT" question.

Awesome!
Me said…
LOL! Yep! Someone sent it to me after I posted this. VERY USEFUL!
thedancingj said…
Pffff.... this is easy. It's not like you're going to the wilderness - you can go to Walmart on the weekend and get anything that you forgot to bring. I have one mat and 11 yoga outfits. You don't need a drying racks; what you do is stick a bunch of hangers in the air conditioning vent on the ceiling and hang your mat and yoga stuff on the hangers. It works perfect. I have a giant jug like that and it's the BEST - not just for classes, but for long evening lectures. It's better than bringing 5 water bottles, and it doubles as a footstool. And don't even worry about memorizing the whole dialogue, it will make it too easy. I've almost filled one of my notebooks, so I'm going to CVS to get a new one. There is a lot more stuff in walking distance from the hotel than you think - after a few weeks, discovered that we can walk to Walgreens, CVS, radio shack, starbucks (where I am now), thai place, grocery store, pedicure place, etc...

In other words, this is not rocket science and will NOT take you four months. ;-)

Oh, and the only appliance you need is a 32-oz hot pot and maybe a coffee maker. Can get them both here.
Me said…
Bless you, J! Hope you are enjoying your day off!!!
thedancingj said…
You bet! Oh, and I WILL be visiting your teacher training. It is a priority. And I WILL be visiting Toronto at some point to stay with one of my best buddies from training. So stay tuned. :-D :-D

Popular Posts