De-Stress-Drinking.

I think most people learned to drink in university.

Wait... Sorry... No...

I think most people learned to drink in high school. And those who didn't learn in high school learned in university.

Except for me.

I learned to drink when I moved to NYC after university. (Though some argue I still don't know how to drink.)

It was the perfect place to learn, as far as I was concerned. I didn't have to worry about driving anywhere. No one frowned on public intoxication. And there was nothing cooler than drinking cheap red wine on the illegal roof deck of your friend's art studio or sipping Guinness at Mugg's on Bedford.

Anyhow... I realized today that I can never be the kind of person who legitimately comes home at the end of a long day, make myself a drink and de-stress-the-fuck-out.

Why come?

Because I am horrible at de-stress-drinking.

I worked from home today. Not supposed to. But my workload called for locking me in a space where no one could distract me with their needs (which, quite frankly is my job... but I needed to focus today). However, by 11am, people had found a way to get a hold of me.

(FUCK YOU INTERNET AND ALL YOUR WAYS OF SUCKING ME INTO COMMUNICATION!)

So I had to stop what I was working on and do the other part of my job that I was trying to avoid for today. And by late afternoon (really though, it was more like 1:30pm) I poured myself this...



A BIG glass of wine. From a bottle I bought like five days ago. I figured it was about to go bad. And I was stressed. It seemed justified to me.

However... What I didn't realize is that when you get yourself a drink to take the edge off your anxiety, you're actually supposed to drink it.

Oops!

At 7:30pm, this is the same glass of wine...



Yep. Only got a third of the way through it in six hours. And I sit here writing this, five hours after I took this last picture, the glass remains on my kitchen counter... In the exact same spot... Still just as full.

I know it's all kinds of wrong to wish I was a better drinker. But I do.

I really, really do.

Here's hoping tomorrow doesn't make my newly colored hair go grey so quickly!

Comments

April Elizabeth said…
I am the same way. I can drink if I am out to have a godo time but I never drink at home. No wine with dinner, no drink after a long day, no destress drinks - I just cant do it. I dont enjoy it.


But a night out with the girls and I can drink like a champion alcoholic. im a bipolar drinker.

I know what you mean - I wihs i could just sit back and enjoy a drink they way others talk about htem. it sounds delightful
Marzz said…
I'm the same way. I don't really enjoy 'drinking'. I'll have a margarita b/c I like how it tastes and I like salt, frankly. I'll share my husband's glass of red when properly served with like, steak or lamb. When I go out 'drinking' with friends my glass never needs to be refilled. I would never drink alone at home; I'd rather have a tea or a cupcake! I use Bikram to destress.
Dan said…
I think you found comfort just knowing you had something to sip in between the AIMs, emails, pings and zings.

My philosophy: If it's after 12, it's OK to pour.

Popular Posts