Must-Read: The Art of War.

"How do you like the job?"

The boyfriend asks me that every few weeks. He knows that last job I was associated with I knew wasn't a right fit from the beginning, but that I was going against my instincts and "sticking it out" - even though it meant subscribing to an approach to digital marketing that I wasn't really comfortable with. 

So he makes it a point to check in with me by directly asking how I like the new one. And each time, I say the same thing...

"It's going well. Very well. It feels very different. And I don't even mind the commute of 21 miles each way."

The commute he figured would put me off. But on the contrary, I've enjoyed it. With the exception of people in this part of the world freaking out each time it rains while driving... It has been good. And enjoyable. But that's largely because I spend most of the commute listening to the Joe Rogan Experience podcast.

I am a huge fan of the podcast, because it introduces me to a lot of epic things that I wouldn't normally be cultured about with my content habits. This week, for example, I learned about a great book...


The War of Art by Steven Pressfield.

As soon as Joe mentioned it to one of his guests - citing what a great influence the book was on motivation in general - I knew I had to download it and read it.

It was filled with snapshots of inspirational advice to keep the effort towards a goal going. Most people seemed to have highlighted this text on the Kindle...

The power to take charge was in my hands; all I had to do was believe it.

And it's good advice. A nice reminder that we won't get anywhere unless we believe we are capable.

But my favorite bit from the book - which I highlighted - was this...

Nothing else matters except sitting down every day and trying.

Simple. True. Actionable. Just keep trying... And failing... And trying... And you'll get somewhere.

Like me, at this new job.

The other thing I highlighted - because it's just awesome - was this...

Rest in peace, motherfucker.

It's how Pressfield references how he feels when he ends a book... Because it's an effort and a struggle to get through it. And when you're finally done, that's how you feel.

Yeah.

Comments

Popular Posts