Sleeping Alone Is A Sign Of Intelligence.

This is fact.

In my world and experience.

It's a world where I like having the bed to myself. Lots of pillows. The temperature set to below 65, and the fan on at the same time. There is no top sheet on the bed, just the base sheet, a duvet, a blanket atop that, and an extra blanket laid across the foot of the mattress.

And I am alone in the bed.


(Though note: my dog likes to sneak into my bed after I've been asleep an hour.)

I was once married, and my husband was offended if I wanted to sleep alone. But we had better sleep that way. I did, anyway. I feel like he did too, but didn't want to admit it because it is seen as "unconventional."

It didn't happen every night. But at least once a week, I loved it. And wanted more. Eventually, I split my time between countries, and had a whole apartment to myself weeks at a time.

That was pure heaven. 

(But a different story for a different time.)

There was less risk of disturbance from one another. Either of us could adjust our position as needed without rustling the other. I could turn on my phone and read if I woke up in the middle of the night and couldn't get back to sleep. 

Most importantly of all: I like my alone time.

It is sacred. My thoughts without someone else talking or breathing nearby.

No one demanding anything from my attention or energy for an extended period of time.

I love those moments. 

Creativity comes alive. And deep rest thrives. A magical combination.  

Comments

Popular Posts