A Scent For "That Betch."

Picking a scent is something I've been lackluster at my whole life. I copy whatever is popular.

From Electric Youth to Vanilla Fields to Clinique Happy... All before I graduated from university... To a series of Jo Malone scents followed by Tom Ford... And then YSL's Black Opium.

I'd worn that last one for a few years. About two years ago I had an ex text me saying he found a small bottle of it in his bathroom, and that it made him miss me when he smelled it. 

We had broken up about four years earlier. Which meant he hadn't cleaned out his bathroom of the junk for a number of years.

(I made the right choice ending that one. Clearly.)

I struggle with scent style. I don't know what I want to smell like. I just know I don't want to smell bad. But I also don't want to smell like all the other betchez out there, no matter how basic and unoriginal I am. 

I hit lucky break a few weeks ago, though.

I'd ordered a ridiculously expensive candle from Le Labo in a scent called Ambroxyde 17. I have better luck picking scents for the home, and this one wasn't the usual boho scent I default to. It was sophisticated. Rich. 

A total "don't fuck with me" scent. One that would make others say, "I want to smell like that betch," when they walk past you. So I looked up to see if Le Labo had it in a perfume. 

They did indeed. I settled on one of the scents that was an offshoot of it...

So elegant... That bottle, along with my vintage Paloma Picasso ring from Tiffamy circa 2001.

Jasmin. A synthetic musk. It is mature. Not every person who smells it will like it. And I don't want to be around those kind of people or animals any damn way.

I am, afterall, That Betch. Even says so on the bottle.

Comments

Popular Posts