The Bedroom Is For The Remnants.

 A few years ago I was reading a piece about Jenna Lyons (creative genius and former J. Crew creative director) and she thinks about design. How she feels her way through it. She was talking about helping someone (a brother?) pick out rugs for his home.

I think he liked a few, but felt the need to narrow down to one. Jenna told him he should "layer" them on top of each other.

"Am I allowed to do that?" he asked.

You can do whatever you want, she said.

There are no rules in personal style. Especially when it comes to your home. (Unless you're a hoarder to the most dangerous extremes.)

I've gotten more and more comfortable with veering from the norm for personal style - particularly when it comes to the home. (Much to the annoyance of my architect and home builder a few years back.)

I love my 82 year old hardwood floors. They have a scratched patina. And even dark stains from wear. And they creek in areas from expansion and shrinking as the weather shifts throughout the year. And I love using area rugs throughout the space. I change them out from time to time, and have no accumulated a collections of runners and 8' x 10' rugs in various colors. 

And the other week, durning my monthly deep clean, I decided to layer a few that I had in my bedroom.



The purple one was in my living room at the Encinitas property. I bought it about eight years ago, and it ended up in my bedroom once I moved to Tucson. 

The beige one with the magenta and navy markings was in my kitchen in Encinitas originally. Then it was in the hallway here in Tucson. And eventually made it's way in the bedroom. 

The pink and yellow one was in my guest room until recently. I loved it, but wanted to put a jute style in that room. So into the bedroom it came. 

The bedroom is where the remnants end up, I guess.

 The padded effect that is created with the layers feels cozy to walk on each morning when I get out of bed. The different textures and design keep me entertained. 

I may become a rug hoarder.

Comments

Popular Posts