"Bucket List?" Nope. "F#ck It List?" Oh You Bet!

While I understand the idea behind a "Bucket List," I am not one to celebrate it. 

Not because I don't want to think about dying. (If anything... I am the one that will always remind you, "You're going to die. Accept that so you can start living your life. No one should fear dying.") More so because I feel like it is usually a list of things that are so humongous for a person when you compare it to their everyday existence, that they are not likely to make going after any of them a priority.

I mean, it's hard to prioritize things on a Bucket List. And it's easier to just put them off and say, "That's on my bucket list. I am totally going to do that some day."

Forget "some day," people.  You have to say "fuck it" and think about "today."  So instead of a "Bucket List"... I have a "Fuck It List."

Fuck It List (defined):
A list of things which you would rather be dead than actually do.

Here is my list...

  • Watch Jersey Shore. Or American Idol. Or One Tree Hill. Or Grey's Anatomy. Oh. This one sounds so cliche and uppity. But I really do feel this way. And it's a good warm-up for the list!
  • Take a cruise. No way in hell. Trapped on a boat? Out in the middle of the ocean? And no, you can't fool me with the "but you follow the coast" bit. Ain't gonna fall for it.
  • Get married again. I was shocked as all hell that I did it the first time. And I am happy I did it... Because it shows I have matured and can handle not being an asshole to someone I am committed to. I ain't the easiest person to get along with... I have strong opinions. I am obsessive compulsive about things. I don't like to be spoken to for the first 20 minutes I am awake in the morning. I like my space. (Um. Duh.) And I doubt I would ever be able to find someone more understanding than The Husband, who would be able to tolerate me for life.  So God-forbid anything ever happen to him or our marriage. I am a one-marriage kind of gal.
  • Watch another Garry Marshall film. It surprised the hell out of me I didn't burst into flames when I accidentally found myself stuck watching New Year's Eve.  But you can sure as hell bet that won't ever happen again.  I can only handle Pretty Woman. That's it.
  • Iron The Husband's Shirts. I don't iron. I steam everything. The Husband only irons his clothes though. But this is all beside the point. A few weeks back I was at a ... well...  let's just call it "an event." And at this event a comment was made which lead to someone saying something about how wives (are supposed to) iron their husbands clothes... And I took offense to that comment... Because I do not see that as any wife's job. Nor any husband's job, for that matter.  If someone wants to do it for their spouse, cool. But regardless of how much money one partner makes in the relationship, this does not by default make it the other's job to be more "domestic." And when I mentioned that I am too busy with my super important world domination job to iron my husband's shirts (oh and the fact that 80% of the time I don't even live in the same country as him), I got the response, "You work? Why?"  And that was the response FROM A WOMAN. So I will NEVER iron my husband's shirts.***
  • Being focused on money and power. This is a new one for me. Because for the past too many years, I have been focused on both of these things... And less on the one thing I should have been focused on: creativity. Money and power have very much driven the majority of my decision-making for the past 11-ish years. But in the past year, I slowly started to change that. I appreciate money and the trust people put in me to make decisions (power). And I know that if I put being creative and allowing those around me to be creative, the money and the power will follow.
I am sure there are at least a dozen more things I can add to this list... I am just don't want to overwhelm y'all.

What's on your "Fuck It List?"

***However, if he wants one steamed... And I am already steaming my own things, I will happily do it.

Comments

I like the focus on creativity rather than money/power. (Of course the two are not mutually exclusive.)

Popular Posts