Happy NYC Christmas.

I realized last evening, on a walk home with The Husband from our traditional Christmas Eve movie and dinner, that this was the first Christmas I have ever had in NYC.

The last time I lived here, eight and a half years ago, I never stayed for the holidays. I always went back to Arizona for Christmas.  It wasn't till after I got married that I stopped going back to Arizona every year for Christmas.

This city doesn't really shut down on Christmas.  The yoga studio, my gym, my neighborhood bagel shop and Starbucks are all open.  As are all the other cafes in my neighborhood. And the grocery stores, except for Whole Foods and Trader Joe's. Even my regular Sunday doorman is working in my building.

NYC is a city of convenience. I celebrate this. Not because I am a "cynical heathen" and think that the real reason for Christmas is less about the birth of Baby Jesus (even though he was actually born in Spring) and more about the commercialization of Christmas (which I actually approve of, as it is what helps create happiness and spirit in even those who do not believe in God or who happen to live and breathe a non-Christian religion)... But because NYC life is perpetual. And intuitive. And even on what many people consider to be one of the holiest of holidays, it allows you to celebrate and live in exactly this way. Doing what you want and need... And making it easy to do it.

I find New Yorkers to be some of the happiest and kindest people I have ever known. And I am grateful I had the opportunity to at least slow down and not rush out of the city to go someplace else for the holiday.

Comments

Anonymous said…
New Yorkers are great - it's the tourists that I can no longer bear nor tolerate. Record numbers in the #1 tourist city in the world. I need OUT.

Popular Posts