Escalator Etiquette.

I was just briefly catching up on Twitter posts when I read one that I made me go "YES! ABSOLUTELY!":



Bex is right on! People, especially in major public transportation areas, really need to follow the "escalator etiquette" policy.

In case you are unfamiliar with this code of conduct for escalators, let me enlighten you...
  1. Do not stop in front of the entrance to a moving escalator. If you are unsure that you want to get on it, move to the side so that others may continue forward.
  2. If you are going to stand on the escalator, stand to the right. Do not stand on the left. The left side of the escalator is for people who want to walk with the direction of the escalator. People who want to just stand should move to the right to avoid getting trampled on while in motion.
  3. Hold the railing! This is more just a general safety guideline. Especially when you are going down an escalator... Even if you are just standing on it, and not moving.... You should still hold the railing. I know The Husband has saved the life of at least one person at the airport who was walking down an escalator and started to tumble down the steps. Had The Husband not been at the bottom of the escalator to help absorb the guy's fall, things would have been really bad.
  4. Again, don't stop. Once you reach the final point on the escalator, do not stop. Keep moving forward and out of the way so that others may get off of the escalator.
If I forgot any, people, please feel free to send them in and I will happily add them.

Comments

Vanessa said…
I would like to add keep your bag/briefcase close to your body so that others may pass with ease (on the left). Strollers? Just don't do it.
Me said…
GREAT CALL!

Yes, keep your bags next to yu, tucked in to your body...

And for the love of God people... DO NOT BRING STROLLERS ONTO ESCALATORS.
Anonymous said…
Strollers - yes. So dangerous for the child within them.

Unfortunately, some areas do not have elevators (such as Government Center). For me this meant a few very careful years of up and down the regular staircase with the carriage.

People who do this are putting their children at risk.

As for stopping at the top or bottom - please, people, safety first!! (And don't text while on an escalator.)

--reindeergirl
Anonymous said…
Strollers - yes! People! You are putting your child at great risk by bringing stroller on escalator. What if you trip backward or forward - with, God Forbid, child? It's true not all areas - such as Government Center, Boston subway stop - have elevators. Hence, do what I do - use the stairs!

Add this: don't text while on escalator. Many a time I've almost fallen onto the person in front of me, with us both about to tumble on the floor (or escalator stairs) because people were distracted by texting.

Safety first on these moving stairs.

-- reindeergirl
Me said…
Oh gosh, ReindeerGirl... I hadn't thought of that...

It's so true... there are many public transportation places that don't have elevators...

Some don't even have escalators - ony stairs. Ugh! Great point!
Anonymous said…
It's important to note that these rules should also apply to the moving walkways found at airports around the world.

People tend to get on to these things and stop. It's not a ride; it's a walkway. Many times, I have been rushing to either make a flight or catch a train and have been stopped in my tracks by either a family dominating the entire width of the thing, someone with a lot of luggage, or worse, a luggage cart.

For some reason, people tend to treat these walkways as though they are a Disney ride.
Me said…
Completely agree, Bryan.

Can't tell you how many times I have been in Dallas, trying to make a connection on the other side of a terminal, and then been slowed down by a parent letting their kid play around on the moving walk way...
Anonymous said…
Revolving doors. I have a phobia. going into borders with the revolving door when some guy runs in doing a buck 90 I feel like I'm going to be cut in half as I exit if I don't jump out fast enough!
Bayjb said…
This is such a true post. Especially on the standing vs. walking sides. Drives me insane.
Anonymous said…
How about life etiquette (also applicable on escalator):

Do not stop at the base of the escalator to finish your text message.

Do not stop at the entrance to an escalator T station, or in any other doorway, to dial your phone, finish a text, pick your nose or for any other reason. Step to the side.

Same rules apply to any other public choke point, including the milk/sugar counter in a coffee shop. No standing. No dialing. No chatting. No re-arranging your wallet. Milk. Sugar. Move.

Unless you are carrying stuff, injured, old, or pregnant, or going up 15 flights, get off the elevator and take the $!# steps if they are available. (I realize the blog topic is escalators which often take the place of steps, please pardon my tangental rant).

That is all.

Popular Posts