Bikram Yoga 30-Day Challenge: Week One

I officially began the 30-day challenge this past Monday, October 16th. Now that I am on "break" from working, I can freely commit to 30 straight days of Bikram yoga.

I'll be honest; if I was still working, there would have been no way I could do the challenge. The hours I put into my former job would have left me drained and unable to have the energy at the end of each day to make it to class. So, I think it is a coincidence that I left my job at the time I did... It was a great thing. This past week, I have found the motivation to get to class everyday.

So, a few people have asked if I have noticed any changes in my body in the first week. The answer is 100% "yes."

Before I did the challenge; a successful Bikram yoga class for me was to just stay standing and doing all the poses in the class. Often, when I skip a week or two; or only go once a week to class; I sometimes am so dehydrated or can't focus that I get dizzy and have to sit down for a moment. (And, I have been doing this yoga "off and on" for two years now!) Bikram yoga is a "lifetime practice." There is always going to be room for improvement.

So what I have noticed in this past week? Here you go:

1. I have the endurance to do all the asanas (poses).
2. I am able to "fall" or "flow" into poses more naturally.
3. When I am standing, I am more focused on which parts of my body I have to lock out and strengthen and hold for a pose.
4. I am more flexible; slightly.
5. My sleep cycle and energy levels are good. (By this I mean I sleep about 8 and a half hours every night naturally. Before, I would either sleep to little - because of work - or sleep too long - 9 to 10 hours on the weekend. Now, I am more balanced in regular sleep.)

My goal this next seven days is to ween of caffeinated coffee; and really rely on the yoga to keep me energized, rather than the stimulants.

I know, those of you who know me are like "WTF? No way you can do that you coffee-junkie!" But, as I was in class this evening, I really started to think about toxins in my body. And I don't need coffee. It's just a "creature-comfort" I have grown accustomed to having every day. When I was working, I needed it to keep me going. Now, it's not necessary. I will still indulge in it a few times a week though. Just not every morning. And not every day. It's more of a treat. Not a daily ritual anymore.

So, so far, so good. I've never done more than five days of yoga in one week. And never all in a row. This week I did seven. And THAT is a huge accomplishment for week one. (Way to go me!)

Only 23 days (three weeks and two days) left in the challenge.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi! I started my 30 day challenge last Oct 20! And I'm loving every bit of it! Good luck with yout 30 day challenge!! :)

Popular Posts