Berlin: Checkpoint Charlie & The Jewish Museum.

It's gorgeous here in Berlin. And not too hot. Just a perfect warmth in the high 60s/low 70s. That makes it incredible for walking quite a bit, taking in the city.

Today, I walked and walked till I got to this place...



The dividing gateway between the Eastern and Western parts of Berlin. I popped into the museum right next to it...


As you can imagine, it was a bit sad. And crowded. So many people were there, taking in every inch of information on the walls in the museum. And some of the art was especially heartbreaking...


But there were hopeful stories from the time. Such as thing...


It is a welding machine. This is the top of it.

It was used to smuggle people out of the East and into the West.


It's small inside... But two adults could fit into it. I can't even begin to imagine what it must have been like to sit locked inside this thing for hours as you wait to know if you've made it to freedom.

As if this museum wasn't emotionally overwhelming enough... I decided to head to this one next, since it was essentially in the same neighborhood...


Yes. Berlin's Jewish Museum. 

The first thing I noticed when I walked in were these lampshades hanging form the ceiling...


Hebrew letters inside!

I didn't feel appropriate about taking photos inside this museum... But here is one exhibit I did capture...


Metal faces piled up on the floor. Haunting.


I wanted to try to make it to the Holocaust Museum today... But this was plenty for right now. Perhaps tomorrow?

Comments

Popular Posts