Berlin: Sleeping In An Art Installation.

The thing about Europe, you need to understand, is that you must not be scared away or put-off by looks. "Don't judge a book by it's cover." That whole bit.

This especially goes for hotels.

I had a conversation recently with a stranger (on my flight back from San Diego last week) about all of this travel I am doing. For some reason he assumed I was a young 20-something, and backpacking around the world... Staying in hostels.

I told him, "I'm actually 37. And while I've heard great things about hostels... I've been staying in hotels the whole way. I decided to really splurge because I need to be completely alone at the end of a day of touring a city. Otherwise, I can't recharge."

Most places I stay in are chosen because of a few things:
  • Location (to the center of the city and a train station)
  • 4-stars and above (which in Europe can simply mean "we clean your room every day" and MIGHT have a safe in the room for you)
  • Free Wifi (I can't compromise on this, it is critical)

It's how I chose this hotel I am staying at in Berlin...



It's near the above-ground subway stop. And it can seem a little dodgy just outside the hotel. But it's very safe.  And each room in the hotel is an art installation. An artist has crafted the space with their work, giving it a very unique feel. The room I am in is by a man named Dieter Finke.


It's got a nature feel to it. The first thing I noticed when I walked into the room, however, wasn't this enormous cheetah above the bed...


It was this...


A bird (why's it always birds with me?) welded to a tree stump.  Behind the bird, on the wall, is a cheetah print...


It's two paintings, side-by-side. They're a soft background, not distracting. I like it the effect.

I am also digging this chair and table...


I'm actually sitting in the chair, with my feet propped up on the table, as I write this post.

I flipped through his book and found the bird statue...


But fell in love with his other piece pictured, The Cock. I would LOVE to buy this piece. I love roosters. They're good luck!

The one piece in the room that freaked me out a little, though, was this...


He sits above the closet. Looking at me while I sleep.

Comments

Popular Posts