Berlin: Holocaust Shadows.

I spent a good hour in the shadows created by the various sizes of cement slabs of the Holocaust Memorial in Berlin.


The undulating grid of their formation... Rising and falling...


It was "maze-like." And discombobulating.


I found myself deep into the tallest slabs at one point, and I momentarily reflected back to this moment in the Jewish Museum the day before... In one installation that was a a "concrete courtyard room" with a small window high up... Barely letting any light in. And it was cold and dark.

I can't imagine any further what that was like... But only because I refuse to let myself. What I see is enough.


So I follow the lighted path out of the maze of slabs. And I am grateful for my own life out of the shadows. But I am drained at the thought of those who were forced into it.

Comments

Popular Posts