Budapest: Castle Hill.

Just across the river from the area where my hotel was on the Pest side stood one of the more popular views associated with the city of Budapest...


Castle Hill.

It is where you will find the Royal Palace (which is a national gallery and library). The views from atop the hill are fantastic.

In order to get to the top, the most fun way is to take the wooden train cars that climb the steep incline. 


It costs about $5, but is worth it. As you ascend the tracks, the views already start to pay for it...


Truly...


When I bought my ticked, the young woman in the booth asked me if I wanted to pay to take the train car down. I laughed.

"How else would I get down?"

She explained that most people walk the path down, as it's pretty to view. I hadn't realized there was a path. I said I didn't need a return ticket.

The top of the hill is composed of cobblestoned plazas and courtyards. Baroque-era archways and columns...


Statues...  Gardens...


And fountains...


It has a very powerful presence, especially sitting atop the hill on the Buda side.


The view of the Parliament building, across the river...


I found Budapest to be a very stylish city. Not in terms of fashion. More so in lifestyle and approach to presence in everyday life. It is relaxed, but aware. Very few things disappointed me in this city.

Well... one thing in particular. The Opera. (Which I'll write about later.)

Comments

Popular Posts