Budapest: Széchenyi Thermal Baths.

"Oh you have to go to the baths in Budapest."

I heard this from a number of people when I told them I was coming to this city. So I researched what they were... And found a number of them listed.

"Which one should I go to? Which one is the best?" I asked a vagabond-esque friend who lives in Europe now.

"Széchenyi," he said. "Go to Széchenyi."


The Széchenyi Baths are a collection of vitality pools that are supplied water from a thermal spring here in Budapest. The water is composed of calcium, magnesium, hydro-carbonate, sodium, chloride, sulphate, and a few other traces of things. All of it natural. And it's wonderful for arthritic and joint issues.


My hotel offered vouchers to a few of the different baths, but also recommended this one in particular. They said taking a taxi to it would be cheap and quick, but that I should walk back from Széchenyi, as it would take me through a few key areas in the city I shouldn't miss seeing.

I was grateful for the advice.

I spent about 90 minutes in one of the pools with jets sporadically placed in the floor or sides. The Sun was strong, and despite it only being 10am... The place was already pretty packed for a Sunday morning.

I consider self-care to be one of the highest forms of spiritual practice. And things like exercise, meditation, yoga, and baths like this are all critical to my spiritual practice. My hope is that others see it that way too. In Budapest, it's obvious that they do.


I also used the sauna and the jacuzzi pools. It was a great experience. I did come out of the place quite thirsty though. And for hours afterwards, I couldn't get enough water. I was constantly thirsty.

Thirsty, but very relaxed with energy.

Comments

Popular Posts