Bikram Dialogue Studying.

I was never much of an academic. Sure, I went to university. I got a degree in two fields of study. But if you ask me how much time I spent studying, I wouldn't really be able to tell you.

The fact is, I never studied much.

No, I am not one of those "brainy" types who just "get" everything and never have to study. I probably would have gotten top marks if I had studied. But my philosophy was, "If I go to class and do my assignments, I shouldn't have to study." And as a result, I was a B- student. And I am actually quite pleased with that.

Spending hours and hours reading through boring geology, history and astrology? No thanks. Reading classics for British literature or reviews on journalism ethics? Yes please!

I was very selective with my non-class hours. And I'll be damned if there wasn't plenty of great TV to watch during my university years, which took priority far over studying. (Dawson's Creek 90210, Days of Our Lives, Seinfeld...) Shit, if I was going to have to sacrifice my TV time, it had to be worth it. And novels and journalism ethics, surprisingly, didn't feel like studying. But the rest?

Fuck them.

Well, I now find myself at the age of 33 having to once again learn something new and rather quickly. The Bikram dialogue. I have to learn, verbatim, the dialogue for the 26 poses which make up the beginning series.

VERBATIM.

That's 90 minutes worth of active conversation I have to learn. Word for word. Including all the incorrect grammar that makes it up. (Hello! Like, don't end your sentences with a preposition, bitch!)

And for someone who had "not real good" study habits in the years where learning was easier, this is going to be a little more difficult. I have to really buckle down. I want to have most of my dialogue memorized by the time I leave in September for Teacher Training.

So I have come up with a study plan.

Yes, you read that correctly. I, for once in my life, actually intend to study. Though, seeing as it that this is something I actually enjoy, it won't seem much like studying.

Right?

Well, either way, I am putting together a study plan. It involves the following:
  • Notecards.
  • Writing out each pose, verbatim, over and over again.
  • Recording myself saying the dialogue over and over again.
  • Listening to that recording of the dialogue when I sleep, bathe, walk to work, sit at my desk at work... You get the idea.
Here is a look at what I have done so far...


I am taking this shiz for realz!!!

Seriously though, I am trying to be proactive and not the "Last-minute Lainey" I used to be.

STAY IN SCHOOL AND STUDY REAL HARD KIDS! (And say "No" to drugs!)

Comments

Anonymous said…
Now in college we have drugs that help us study.
bikramyogachick said…
The first time I took Bikram I looked at the teacher and thought "hunh. she looks like she was born here. What's up with the funky grammar? what the hell country does she come from?"
Little did I know she had to memorize 90 mins worth of bad grammar verbatim.
:)
I have reveiwed the dialog and when it's my turn to go I will have to do the same thing you are doing for sure! Good luck chica!
Anonymous said…
I'm going to teacher training in Sept & I'm planning on teaching at least part time when I get back. What would be your advice on how to tackle the dialogue. I don't know of I should start with pranayama or half moon. Or if I should learn both sides or just right. It's all so overwhelming! Thanks, Christina
Me said…
Hi Christina!

Start with Half Moon. Pranayama is actually very easy... And you can learn it last. Learn the right side of Half Moon. Best way to learn is to read a line, then recite it from memory. Read that line again, and add the next. Then recite both from memory. Do that for the entire posture. You'll be surprised by how quickly you can memorize it that way and get it to stick. Good luck!!!
Anonymous said…
Thanks Heather! Should only do right side first for all postures or should I do both right & left. Like I said I do want to teach at the end of this... Thanks!!
- Christina
Me said…
Just do the first side (right side) of each posture. That is all you will need to know for training.
Anonymous said…
Great! Thanks for such quick replies!

Popular Posts