Sex & The City 2: Luxury To Design Your Own Life.

I finally got around to seeing this movie today. I know, it's been out a month already... I am way behind the times on this. But there just hasn't been a free moment to go see it. In fact, the only reason I was able to see it today was because I woke up so late that I missed yoga.

Because I missed my one real chance to get to the hot room today, I decided to run errands instead. And by 12pm I had finished those, but was again too late to hit the noon Bikram class.

Instead, I went upstairs in the Manulife Centre (which is where I was running errands) and decided to see what was playing at the theater. I was in luck, as a viewing of SATC 2 was showing at 12:30pm. I bought a ticket, without realizing what I was buying exactly, and went into the theater.

Turns out, I bought a VIP ticket. And VIP tickets are for much smaller, much more comfortable theater showings. The theater I was in only sat about 34. And the chairs were very comfortable. And there were little tables next to each chair. Apparently, they have servers who come in to get you drinks.

I could have had a Cosmo while watching my movie! But, it was too early in the day for one. So I went with a bottle of water. I ended up having the entire theater to myself, as everyone else has already seen this movie. It was quite luxurious for a Sunday early afternoon. But not as luxurious and wonderful as the movie itself.

Yes. I loved the movie.

I was hesitant to see it at first, as I had heard a real mixed bag in terms of reviews. But for me, it was exactly what it was supposed to be: A caricature of the mixed bag that is life.

First off... I loved the fashion. Evey. Single. Piece. This was such a big part of the show. And I think that is the one thing that has kept me grounded when watching the SATC show and movies...

I recognize that most writers most likely can not afford the fashion collection that Carrie Bradshaw has amassed.

I live in reality, folks. I appreciated that the show brought to life the idea of being daring with fashion and introduced me to some gorgeous lines. But I have been a freelance writer myself. I have friends who do it far more successfully than I ever did. I know 99.9999% writers/freelance writers can not afford to live like Carrie Bradshaw does.

But movies are fantasy and fun. And the fashion was amazing and realistic enough for me to live in it for a few hours.

The second thing that I loved about the movie were two of the story lines.
  1. Charlotte and Miranda admitting that motherhood isn't enough. And that it is hard. And recognized all the women who do it alone, unlike them with their full-time nannies.
  2. Carrie having issues with her identity within marriage, and having to deal with others judging her for deciding to have the type of marriage that she does.
Being a parent (from what I have seen) is hard. And I still waiver back and forth on whether or not I want to enter that reality myself. I appreciated that Miranda was realistic about motherhood, and said straight out, "I love my son. But it's not enough to just be a mother."

Charlotte, a character I have always more or less loathed, was in denial. Her kids are driving her crazy. But this was what she wanted, wasn't it? So shouldn't she be grateful that she had a family? She isn't allowed to be upset.

I loved that Charlotte finally decided to stop living in the cupcake fantasy world of "being a mommy is everything to me!" Because clearly, it wasn't. AND THAT IS TOTALLY PERFECT. The truth is, kids aren't everything. And, to be honest, the kid they cast to play her younger daughter was quite ugly. I ain't afraid to say it, "Some kids just ain't cute. Especially ones that bawl all-the-time."

Speaking of kids... One of my favorite scenes in the movie is when Carrie and Big are at the over-the-top-ohmigod-I-wish-I-could-get-married-again-just-to-have-that-kind-of-wedding, and the woman at the next table is a fan of Carrie's. Her husband tells Carrie, "She (his wife) is you!"
They then go on to tell Carrie about how they are expecting a baby via surrogate soon, and then ask when Carrie and Big are going to have kids.

"We're not. It's just going to be the two of us. We love kids. But we love things the way they are."

The woman, the huge fan of Carrie's, just doesn't understand. Here is this woman she has idolized and sees so much of herself in... But how can she not relate to her and want children?

And this I appreciated so much about the movie. For once, in my life, I could actually relate to Carrie Bradshaw. I always saw myself more as the Miranda type, but today, I actually related to Carrie. I too love children. I wanted them for a little while. And they may or may not factor into my life in the future in some way... But I am far from traditional, just like Carrie.

Sure. I am married, also like Carrie. But I have to have my own space. My own life. My own identity. It is part of the reason I go by "The Missus" on this blog... I am married. And I enjoy spending time with my husband more than anyone else. But I don't want to be around him all the time. And I don't share his last name, nor will I ever. I need my own identity. And I need "me time." Where no one else is around. Where I can just sit in silence and think. Or when I can spend time with the girls and gab on about many other things in life.

Marriage and life in general doesn't have just one flavor or color. And I think far too many people (men, women, right wingers, the Catholic church) think it has to follow one path and look like one thing. And this is what makes people miserable.

So I loved these two main story lines in the movie. And I loved the fashion. And, I know many people had an issue with it... But I loved the Samantha storyline and all the trouble she gets in to in the Middle East.

I know plenty of people who had issue with this storyline. But come on, people! It's a MOVIE. It is NOT reality. And it is a commentary on how you should watch your step when visiting other cultures. It is a lesson that we can live via a 50-something woman who still looks amazing and gets to have lots of sex.

So please... If you think that Samantha Jones is a bad example of Americans traveling abroad, then perhaps you need to start living in reality yourself. MOST FIFTY-SOMETHING WOMEN DO NOT GET TO LOOK, ACT, OR HAVE SEX LIKE SAMANTHA JONES.

But it is fun to live vicariously through someone for a few hours. And to learn what NOT to do when visiting the Middle East.

So, yes. This was a fantastic movie. But then, I am in touch with reality and could enjoy the two hours I spent in the movieland. And I walked away appreciating the main theme of the movie:

GET YOUR OWN LIFE. AND FUCK IT IF PEOPLE DON'T LIKE IT BECAUSE IT DOESN'T FIT THE MOLD.

Comments

amandadawn said…
I haven't seen the movie yet, and am not sure if I will right now. However, as a mother of two, I must say, I love my kids, however, they are not what I am "all about." Kids are simply one aspect of who I am. That doesn't mean I love them any less than the next person. But I've always thought that I am a better person for not being defined by any one thing. I agree with you, too, that marriage is about what's right for the two of you. What works for one couple may not work for another. And that is perfectly fine, as long as your marriage works for you.
Me said…
If I thought I could keep the level head that you seem to have with your work and your kids, I would have no hesitations. I just don't think I have the patience, and could easily see myself regretting children.
amandadawn said…
Thank you! Honestly, kids are an amazing and rewarding experience. Do they make me want to breathe fire sometimes? Absolutely. But like you always say, life is about balance. Patience for your own kids is entirely different than patience for other people's kids. Because I can't stand some kids. Heck, I can't stand my own kids when they are whiny and I am stuck in the car with them. =)
Dan said…
Thanks for the review. But I think you should have had that Cosmo.

Popular Posts