Food Intolerance Test: Where To Shop.

There is a suspicion that I may have either a food allergy, or at the very least, a food intolerance.

This isn't me being a hypochondriac. (That's not my nature. And I do Bikram yoga.... So I don't get sick.) I recently began seeing a naturopathic doctor for acupuncture. Instead of fertility issues though, this time I need help treating fatigue and a little bit of anxiety.

Based on some observations in my response to a test, and some acid reflux, there is a thought that I may have an intolerance to soy or wheat. So next week I have to go in for a blood test to check for intolerance to 120 different foods.

However... In order to test my blood for the intolerance, I actually have to consume the 120 different foods over the next 7 days so they will be in my system.

One hundred and twenty different foods...

My diet is not that varied now:
  • Coffee
  • Skim milk
  • Bananas
  • Strawberries
  • Cherries
  • Avocado
  • Cheez-Its (when I can get me some)
  • Chicken
  • Eggs
  • Bread
  • Carrots
  • Soy sauce
  • Tempura
  • Pasta
  • Cheese (all kinds)
  • Cupcakes (all kinds)
The above really only covers about a 15th of the list of foods. So I had to come up with a way for me to get all 120 foods in my system without spending a lot of $$$. And this was my solution...



A lot of the foods on the list are grains and nuts. And the Whole Foods loose aisle is the best place to collect small servings of the foods. (I only need to have a few bites of each food.) All the nuts I need to ingest cost me a total of $7, because I didn't have to buy whole containers.

The only thing are the grains... Do I eat them raw? Or do I try to cook a small tablespoon of each to consume?

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi! I am studying holistic nutrition (just starting out) and from the classes I have taken and my understanding of the digestive system in relation to your circulatory system, it would be best to cook the grains. Otherwise, well, you will just poop them right out without the properties really entering your system. Which may lead to an inaccurate reading if it is a minor yet bothersome food intolerance.
However! The digestion of carbs starts in your mouth. One of the many reasons chewing is so important. So if you are willing to chomp, chomp and chomp some more it may help you out.
However, wouldn't it be better to proceed and process the food the way you normally would.. ?
Me said…
Wow! Good points! Hadn't thought about that at all! I just figured I had to ingest them somehow. But it does makes sense to eat them how they would be normally eaten. Thanks!
debbie said…
Hi- I have had a food intolerance for 14 years. If you are intolerant, most results won't show up on a blood test. You may want to go to an allergist and eat wheat and/or soy in front of the doctor so they can observe what happens.
Me said…
I thought the scratch test was for allergies. Food intolerances can been seen in the blood and how your body reacts to processing them. I think an allergy test is the next step, if nothing comes up in the blood test.
Anonymous said…
If you are exhibiting symptoms of food allergy or intolerance, the best place to start is to investigate what you are already eating. Eating a list of 140 foods you rarely if ever eat isn't going to help. You already have a short list of foods you put in your body so the culprit is in that list somewhere. A food elimination study may be more helpful.

Just some unsolicited advice from a fellow Bikramette.
bikramyogachick said…
Oh dear, this sounds like such a big process. I hope it flushes out what is bothering you though...good luck!! :)
Debbie said…
Most allergists don't do scratch tests for food - they do rast tests. It is likely that an allergy or intolerance won't show up through testing ("false negative") which is why you should eat something in front of an allergist. I would visit www.foodallergy.org

Popular Posts