A Vintage-Inspired Bathroom?

I have lived in my house for almost a year. And I do love it. I have been very fortunate not to have had to do much to it outside of buying furniture and painting two rooms. But now, I am getting an itch to paint again.

An itch that desperately needs to be scratched.

See, while the house was well-cared for before we bought it... I do feel, now that some time has passed, that the people who lived here before us had tacky taste.

Tacky. Tacky. Tacky. Tacky.

They have WHITE carpet in the upstairs bedroom. And while it is high-quality carpet, I just find it awful. I would rather have hardwood and accent with area rugs. White carpet is easily dirtied, by me in particular. And wood with area rugs provide for less commitment to something. I can easily change things up with them.

Another thing... The hallways, bathrooms and the guest bedroom are all painted a butterscotch-yellow. And now that a year has passed, it creeps me out that so many rooms are the same color.

And I can't even bring myself to mention the basement and the kitchen. But I will anyway. The basement has a tone-on-tone chocolate wide stripe paint job. Very expensive. Very hard to do. But it makes things SOOOO dark down there. The kitchen is "Tuscan-themed." And while many people I know would LOVE this, I can't stand it. The walls have a rustic effect on them that makes me feel dirty. It also makes it impossible to commit to hanging anything on them, as any mistake you make means an expensive patch job.

I like less country. More urban and cozy. English city, French home coziness.

So, remodeling is in our future. Just not anytime soon. But painting? Painting I can get done anytime. And I am thinking I want to do this to one of the bathrooms we have...


Yes. These are black walls. I wouldn't go black. But I would do a navy. Navy with orange towels. And black and white photos.

Classic. Brilliant. Maybe I'll re-do my office bathroom like this?

Comments

You can NEVER go wrong with navy. Never. I even posted about this. Do it... do it now!
Me said…
I knew, Yummy, would approve. You are never afraid of color. I appreciate that about you!
Marzz said…
Go for it. My whole house is painted white (t-shirt white) except for a tiny powder room which I painted matte black. While it was shocking at first, I just love it now.
Meaghan said…
I love it! There is a house near me that was for sale recently and the developers painted it a shade called French Navy. The real estate agent said the color had become a problem because so many people were coming by the house to scrape off some of the paint to match it at a paint store!
bikramyogachick said…
I think it will be fabulous!
That Girl! said…
I love it! Please post photos of the results :)

Popular Posts