Tosca At The Ritz.

Other than the breakfast I had this morning, I haven't had a bad meal in Hong Kong yet. And tonight was no exception. In fact, quite frankly, it should be the rule for at least one meal when you are on vacation some place.

So often we restrict ourselves with being "economical" and "efficient" when on vacation. I think at least one meal should be out of this world amazing when it comes to food, wine and service.

This is the standard at the Ritz Carlton in Hong Kong. Tonight, Frogger and I ventured to Tosca on the 102nd floor for dinner. We had a great view of the city just as the evening light show was started...


The cuisine at Tosca is Italian. Specifically, Mediterranean-inspired Mediterranean. Which means: a lot of seafood.

Now, growing up in Arizona (where there are no large bodies of water, other than maybe swimming pools and Lake Havasu), I am not fond of seafood. But in Hong Kong, you have to go with the flow and experience what the locals treat themselves to. So I had a meal with quite a few things I don't normally get in front of myself.

Amuse bouche of cappellini and caviar. (Yum!)


To start, we requested anti pasti and a parma plate.


The parma was amazing.

For the second course, we split a blue lobster risotto with a citrus note.



One might feel that the citrus in the dish was a bit strong... But I loved it.

For a main course, Frogger ordered a sea bass and I had lamb...


It was fantastic.

And then the chef surprised us with a wonderful chocolate dessert...


Cannolis, tiramisu and a mille-feuille.

To add to the decadence of the entire meal, we requested a separate wine pairing for each course by the sommelier. The first glass we were served was a wonderful white that went crisply with the crudite in the anti pasti and the parma. And that was the only one for which I could drink the entire tasting portion. The rest of the sampling... well...


I left bits behind. I just couldn't finish, despite how well the sommelier chose for us. And when he surprised us with dessert, we had a small taste of grappa (which was powerful) and another dessert wine.

Before we could leave the table, they sent over a final chocolate treat...



I can never say "no" to chocolate. So I ate the macaron and two other pieces. Now, I am sufficiently stuffed and ready for bed after Skyping with The Husband for a while.

Definitely a good way to treat yourself on vacation.

Comments

Popular Posts