"Can You Estimate How Far You Have Traveled?"

It feels odd to know that in less than seven days, I will have touched all seven continents in NOT seven months, but just under FOUR months.

INSANE!

While I was meeting with the owners of a property I am looking to rent in Encinitas yesterday, I was telling them about my travels. The wife asked me if I knew the mileage of how far I'd traveled. I'd told her:

"I haven't been keeping track of the mileage... Or the cost. I just know I haven't hit all the cities I want to see or burned through the amount I set aside in an account to do all of this travel."

But I decided to actually add up the mileage to this point...


And it is far more than I had expected!

LEG ONE: Iceland - 5,342 miles
  • Boston to Reykjavik, Iceland (2,431 miles)
  • Reykjavik, Iceland to Akureyri, Iceland (240 miles)
  • Akureyri, Iceland to Reykjavik, Iceland (240 miles)
  • Reykjavik, Iceland to Boston (2,431 miles)

LEG TWO: NYC - 430 miles
  • Boston to NYC (215 miles)
  • NYC to Boston (215 miles)

LEG THREE: Arizona (not counting this one)


LEG FOUR: Argentina & Antarctica - 16,824 miles
  • Boston to Miami (1,488 miles)
  • Miami to Buenos Aires (4,408 miles)
  • Buenos Aires to Ushuaia (1,474 miles)
  • Ushuaia through the Drake Passage to Antarctica (1,042 miles)
  • Antarctica through the Drake Passage to Ushuaia (1,042 miles)
  • Ushuaia to Buenos Aires (1,474 miles)
  • Buenos Aires to Miami (4,408 miles)
  • Miami to Boston (1,488 miles)

LEG FIVE: San Diego - 5,972 miles
  • Boston to San Diego (2,986 miles)
  • San Diego to Boston (2,986 miles)

LEG SIX: Iquitos, Peru & The Amazon - 9,810 miles
  • Boston to Atlanta (1,077 miles)
  • Atlanta to Lima (3,199 miles)
  • Lima to Iquitos (629 miles)
  • Iquitos to Lima (629 miles)
  • Lima to Atlanta (3,199 miles)
  • Atlanta to Boston (1,077 miles)

LEG SEVEN: Singapore, Indonesia & Australia - 26,382 miles
  • Boston to London (3,269 miles)
  • London to Singapore (6,740 miles)
  • Singapore to Bali (1,033 miles)
  • Bali to Lombok (125 miles)
  • Lombok to Jakarta (692 miles)
  • Jakarta to Perth (1,871 miles)
  • Perth to Sydney (2,044 miles)
  • Sydney to LA (7,502 miles)
  • LA to San Diego (120 miles)
  • San Diego to Boston (2,986 miles)

LEG EIGHT: Cape Town, South Africa - 18,544 miles
  • Boston to London (3,269 miles)
  • London to Cape Town (6,003 miles)
  • Cape Town to London (6,003 miles)
  • London to Boston (3,269 miles)

LEG NINE: Providenciales - 2,951 miles
  • Boston to Providenciales (1,423 miles)
  • Providenciales to NYC (1,313 miles)
  • NYC to Boston (215 miles)

LEG TEN: San Diego - 5,972 miles
  • Boston to San Diego (2,986 miles)
  • San Diego to Boston (2,986 miles)

This doesn't the trip I took to Arizona in December. But the total so far comes to around... 92,227 miles.

WOW! I hadn't realized how far I'd gone! But you may now be wondering...

"How much is left?"

Hmm... I don't even want to begin to calculate it all out right now. Maybe I'll find the energy to do that later this week.

Maybe.

But I still have all of Europe left. And I'm doing it in two trips. Plus I have Mexico left. Plus another trip to Phoenix and another trip to San Diego.

As a friend of mine told me this weekend, "Just trying to keep up with where you are and when you are makes my head spin."

You're telling me, buddy!

Comments

Unknown said…
Wow, you've almost traveled as far as your blood vessels are long. (100,000 miles). Heheh. [learned that at the Bodies exhibit yesterday]
Me said…
Oh that is something I keep meaning to see!

Popular Posts