London: Happy "We're NOT Mothers" Day!

I did know, in general, that Mothers Day in the UK comes in March. Unlike in North America, where we celebrate it in May. And because of this, Bail, Frogger and I had a difficult time scoring a reservation for high tea at one of the more coveted locations in London. But we did manage to find availability at a funky modern hotel near Oxford Circus. And the tea, despite being over-priced, was sweet and yummy.

I mean, sitting down and being asked to smell four tea varieties to choose from was lovely...


Bail and I decided we weren't interested in any of the four varieties (chocolate mint, strawberries and cream, rhubarb, or apple pie) on the little silver tray. So we had them do a special pot of Earl Grey (my favorite tea) for us.

(We're so demanding and high maintenance!)

After that, our stack showed up at the table. And it was a sugar bomb!


We had been hoping the options were going to be more "savory" than sweet. But what showed up was delicate and perfect.

My favorite was the tea sandwich rolls...


The only ones I could eat, however were the cucumber ones. All the rest had salmon (which I would rather starve than eat) or ham (precious, delicious ham).

And of course, the one thing Bail had been looking forward to most, were the scones...


Cranberry scones with clotted cream and chive scones with herbed butter. Little mini perfections.

And of course... Tea...


How adorable is the sugar bowl in the jewelry box? And above all else, the tea itself was incredible.

It was easy to enjoy, drinking out of this adorable set...


But tea wasn't the only thing I drank...


It came with a glass of pink champagne and a little bottle of passion fruit whipped custard to be sipped.

A lovely tea. But definitely over-priced for Mother's Day. I called the whole experience our "Happy We're NOT Mothers Day" celebration tea.

And then I tossed back my champagne.

Comments

Natalie said…
I love this idea...Happy "We're Not" Mothers Day. Totally stealing it this year.
Me said…
LOL! It is one of my more brilliant ideas... Thanks!

Popular Posts