Carry-On For Two Weeks In Europe.

Bit of a panic yesterday afternoon...

I'd done all of my laundry and had gotten everything on my checklist prepped to go into my black Tumi carry-on. I had decided to take my carry-on suitcase, instead of the Osprey backpack, because it is more elegant. The places I am staying at in London, Paris and Bordeaux (which are all part of this next round of travel) are a little fancier than my usual places. Plus, I would be traveling with Bail and Frogger... Who are very stylish.

Bottom line: I couldn't do the whole "Hobo Travel Chic" thing this time around. Not because they would be embarrassed to be seen with me... Certainly not. More so because I just wouldn't look like I would belong with them. I don't want to be "out of place."

But, once I'd gotten everything into the black Tumi case, I weighed it. I know that the airline I am flying will be weighing a carry-on suitcase if I roll up to the counter with one. But when I weighed my case, it came in at 28 pounds. That's six pounds over the carry-on limit!

"Argh!" I said. "I have no choice. I have to take the backpack instead. The carry-on suitcase alone weighs about seven pounds!"

But as I was pulling everything out of the case, I got an idea...

"What if I tried packing everything in my Weekender bag?" I thought. "It's crazy. But how awesome would it be to travel to Europe for two weeks with just the Weekender and a handbag?"

So I pulled everything out of the suitcase, not adjusting anything inside of the compression sacks, and started to fill the Weekender to see what could fit...

I have three compression sacks of clothes (large, medium, small). As well as one pair of black leather knee-high motorcycle boots and a pair of black leather flats. I also have a small bag containing three brass and stone cuffs and some earrings.

The shoes and the jewelry went in first, at the bottom of the bag. Then I put in the large compression sack, as it's length and width were the same dimensions as the Weekender bag itself...


Next I put determined the medium bag would fit nicely, not folded...


Perfection! It fit beautifully in there...


Last, I shoved the small bag in between the two sacks, right in the center...


VICTORY! Everything fits!


"What about makeup and toiletries?" you may be asking.

Well, there is a little bit of space left in the bag. I don't wear much make-up these days. And in terms of toiletries, I tend to buy that stuff when I get wherever I am going. I don't take anything but face wash, moisturizer, hair cream, contact lens cleaner - all in small sizes - with me. Everything else I either get for free from the airline (toothbrush and toothpaste is usually given out on the airline I fly) or the hotel (shampoo, razors).  I buy conditioner when I get to the place I am going, as it is not expensive and I use a lot anyway. Why deal with trying to pack it? And when it comes to perfume, I have a million little samples from the Jo Malone store. They're tucked into my carry-on too. But they take up no space.

I am ready to rock this trip!!!

Comments

Rebecca Raye said…
That is just so great!
Anonymous said…
Loving the Bal Weekend bag! I would be a bit nervous using it as a carry-on as I'm a little rough with my carry on bags, plus it rains a lot in London which is bad for that gorgeous leather. I often travel with my Goyard St Louis tote - that thing is a freakin' work horse!

Look forward to reading the updates on this leg of your world tour!

Popular Posts