Pissed Off Cactus Does Not Approve.

 "Where are you going on your day off?"

A question from a team member. One who leads a team for me... And knows how my neurodivergent brain moves across the spectrum of being easily distracted to obsessively dialed in on things.

He knows I need a day off, but have a difficult time disconnecting.

"I am going nowhere," I say. "I'm going to a noon yoga class. And maybe seeing Dune. TBD."

Those are my plans, anyway.

What is more likely to happen?

I'll decide to have a "slow morning" and end up scrolling TikTok and all my newspaper subscriptions for hours... End up walking my dog too late in the morning that I feel guilty about not getting her a proper two miles before it gets too Sunny and warm... Then will fail to get back to the house in time to leave to drive to the studio.

Which will then lead me with the urge to "just check" my work chat. And then I will end up logging on and taking care of something.

And then I will get annoyed with myself for not disconnecting me.

This is the image that pops into my head when I get annoyed with myself...


Pissed Off Cactus.

She lives in an alleyway in my neighborhood. I walk past her a few times each week with George.

I'm tempted to have her be my phone screen saver... Serving as a constant reminder to course-correct my perspective on things.

... And also as a prompt to spend more time imagining...

Rather than giving my creative energy all to my work.

Comments

Popular Posts