The Debutante Divorcee.

So, about four and a half years ago (God, was it that long ago???) I was working in a charming little townhouse on the upper east side of Manhattan as a bridal consultant for a very well-known media company.

One day, I was introduced to a new bride named Lucy. She was very tall, English, blond and okay-looking. One could say she was pretty, but it was only because she was quite well put together. Lucy came from money and worked as a fashion director at a bubble-head woman's magazine in the city. When I first met Lucy, I was in awe... As I was with most of my brides... They all had such fascinating jobs and lived in a magical city where they could go and do as they pleased. And we all know the allure of being a magazine editor... You get so many incredible perks and freebies!

Anyhow, Lucy (like most of my brides) was a raving lunatic b%$@!&. (Just my opinion.) She came across as very entitled. She and other brides turned me off from the bridal industry for good. (Perhaps someday I will write about their bi-polar antics...) But the one nice thing I can say about Lucy is she has a sister (Plum) who can write wonderful novels.



I finished reading Plum Sykes' novel "The Debuntante Divorcee" yesterday on the plane ride to the Turks and Caicos. this is Plum's second novel; a follow-up to "Bergdorf Blondes."

In the past few years, whenever I read the sophmoric effort of a writer, I am usually disappointed (who can forget the utter disaster of "Citizen Girl"; the follow-up to "The Nanny Diaries"?). However, I very much enjoyed Plum's latest work. A winner all the way.

I believe the reason Plum's second novel was an enjoyable read was because she simply knows how to evolve a story. And I lived that the characters in her second novel operate in the same Manhattan world of the first novel... But they had different mind-sets. Gone were the fascinations of Chloe Jeans and finding rich boyfriends; and in came the world of working with a designer to get celebrities to wear your clothes and rich marriages. The charachters were a little older in the second novel, and clearly more mature.

I highly recommend "The Debutante Divorcee"... Especialy if you liked "Bergdorf Blondes."

Nicely done, Plum.

Comments

BabsieD said…
I completely agree--this was one of the better chick-lit books I've read in a while (and a rare find amongst sophmore novels). I'm almost afraid to read Curtis Sittenfeld's "The Man of My Dreams" as it will, probably once again, lead to dissapointment!
Me said…
I agree with you BabsieD. Sittenfeld's "Prep" was good. But it's always scary investing your hard-earned $$$ buying the hard-cover of a book and finding it to be a complete disappointment.

Popular Posts