The Tax Man Cometh. He Taketh. And Giveth Back Cuz Certain Canadians Can't Add.

I know... Long title... You're probably like "WTF???!!!" But seriously, it was justified.

So, most people who sit near me at work know that I was bitching about the fact that my husband and I owed a LOT in taxes this year. (Talking five figures.) Not a pretty picture. But when my husband filled out the 1040s, that's what he determined we owed. Exactly five days after we mailed our completed tax forms out with checks, we noticed the "man" (i.e., "the government") had taken the money out of our account.

Flash forward a month later... My husband and I arrive back from our vacation late Friday night. We pry open our mail box and pull out the pile of mail that has accumulated. We start sifting through it to get rid of all the junk (a habit of my anal-rententiveness) and notice two envelopes from the IRS. We open them... In one is a check for three figures and in the other is a check for four figures.

"WTF?!?!?" you may be thinking... It's what we were thinking. Was there some tax refund we didn't know about?

Turns out my husband (who refuses to hire a tax attorney like I suggested.... "I work in finance for God's sake. I should be able to do them myself!") added the lines wrong and didn't take a deduction he should have on line 42.

So this is positive. We got money back. And we didn't expect it. The IRS caught the mistake and sent us the refund.

I never knew they did that kind of thing.

Good for the government!

Comments

Popular Posts