Vacation Perspective.

I'm finally back from my trip to the Turks and Caicos this week. (See the pretty picture I took at the beach!)

Now, it is time for me to recap the trip for all of my loyal readers (the number, which I can count on one hand).

Day One - We leave Boston. The adventure begins. I read 1.5 books in the five hours of traveling and layovering we do. We arrive in Provodenciales (Turks and Caicos) at about 2pm. By 3:15pm we are on the beach under a tree umbrella. The water is actually that aqua blue it looks like in the photos. We spray on the sunscreen and drink Mai Tais for about two hours. I then go into the guest lounge and hop on the free computers and begin IM-ing with everyone I know on AIM about how I am never coming back. (I am drunk while doing this.) We go to dinner on the resorts patio and watch the sun set. We take a walk along the beach after dinner to lighten up my drunkenness. We come back and jump in the hottub, which isn't very hot.

Day Two - Wake up at 6am. (Still on work time!!!) Watch the news and Today Show for two hours. Eat some oatmeal. Husband gets up about 8am. We are on the beach by 9:30am. We spray on the sunscreen again and lay out all morning. I fall in and out of sleep while reading "To Hell with All That: Loathing and Loving Our Inner Housewife." (I wasn't a fan of this book. More on that later.) The rest of the day is spent reading and sleeping. I think we ate lunch at some point. Dinner was filled with a few more drinks. We walked on the beach again at sunset. We tucked in early to watch "Gilmore Girls" and "Scrubs."

Day Three - Slept till 9am. Beach by 11am. Reading "The Girl's Guide to Being the Boss (Without Being a Bitch)..." and sleeping. (All this sleeping must have been the result of the lack of coffee.) We spent the afternoon lying under umbrellas on comfy lounge chairs by the pool. My husband read "Freakonomics." At dinner he gives me the "low-down" on the book. I decide I have to read it next. We tuck in early to watch "America's Next Top Model" and "Lost."

Day Four - Slept till 10am. Didn't get to the beach till about noon. We had to camp out under one of the cabanas instead of the umbrellas. We watched a married couple in their friends sift through the beach sand in front of us looking for the husband's wedding ring; which had some how managed to come off on a beach of women lying out in bikinis. My husband notices one the Canadian women a few umbrellas down is sunbathing topless, face up. I wonder how she manages to keep her nipples from getting burned. She must NOT have used the spray sunscreen. (My husband and I have switched to lotion sunscreen by this day.) We eventually move over to the pool area again. I finish reading "Freakonomics." (GREAT BOOK!) We decide to head down the beach to another resort restaurant called "Bay Bistro" for dinner. Very romantic setting. We watch the sun set. Wonderful dinner.

Day Five - We get up early and pack everything. We check out of the room and hang out in the lounge for the morning. We jump on the free shuttle the airport and begin our journey back home. I read "The Mommy Wars."

It is good to be back home. The vacation was great though. My husband and I spent a lot of time together just chilling. I'm not a "chilling" kind of person. I like to get up and do stuff, see things. But for some reason, it was easy to do this type of vacation. I learned some stuff about myself. Stuff that has helped me put a few life things in perspective... Including:

  • I like beaches. Now that I live in an icebox four months a year, it's hard not to appreciate the beach.
  • My husband played soccer as a child... As well as ice hockey, basketball, cricket and badminton. (He's Canadian. They do that there.) So he athletic. This bodes well for any potential children we have... As I am enthusiastic, but not athletic.
  • I don't need coffee. I can actually go without it.
  • Two people don't need to spend money on breakfast and lunch each day. You can survive on packs of oatmeal and Easy Mac for these meals. "Variety" at meal times is not necessary.
  • Sometimes its okay to not check your work email. The work world doesn't stop when you're gone.
  • It's "Roscoe P. Coltrane" not "Roscoe Pico Train." (My husband pointed this out when we got into a lengthy conversation about James Best and "The Dukes of Hazard.")

Yes. Vacationing is good. I should do it more often.

Comments

Popular Posts