Recycling in Boston and Childhood Memories.

Given that I live in the South End, you'd think I would be surrounded by other folks who were concerned about the environment. Sadly though, no, I am not. After wandering down a side street to get home from work this morning (I went home sick) I saw a townhouse a few blocks from my apartment with a blue recycling bin on the curb. This is the first time I have ever seen such a thing! As soon as I got home and was feeling better, I logged online and searched for more information on recycling from home. And what do you know? The city of Boston offers curb-side recycling on your regularly scheduled pick-up days! Who knew? I quickly got on the phone and ordered a recycling bin to be delivered.

This brings back the good days from when I was a kid growing up in Arizona. My grandmother used to stock her fridge with TONS of soda pop cans for her charming grandkids. (My favorite was orange or cherry sodas.) She would recycle the cans every few months in exchange for cash, and would then split it up between all the grandkids. This was nice. Because as a 10-year-old, this meant about $10 in my pocket (my take) every few months. Just for drinking soda. I often wondered if there was some kind of opportunity to make a career out of such a thing... But as I got older, I realized I would probably fare better as a writer than a homeless person on the street.

Anyhow, if you want information on recycling in your neighborhood, check out the City of Boston website.

Comments

Popular Posts