Welcome to the World of eBay.

I'm a little late to the whole idea of auctioning your unwanted goods on eBay and other such websites.

A few weeks ago, I was trying to clear out some space for my sister's visit in late May. I was looking in one of our closets when I realized I still had a whole slew of William Yeoward crystal vases that I had purchased at a "tag sale" at one of my previous jobs. The vases were worth (retail) about $300 to $500 a piece. But because they were part of a tag sale, I was able to pick them up for $3 to $5 a piece. I initially bought about 15 of them to use as centerpieces at my wedding. But then I changed my mind when I realized how much it would cost to ship them to Canada (where we had the wedding.) So I just packed them in a closet to give away as gifts to friends every now and then.

Well, three years later, I've only given away about two. And I had purchased a few for my home in addition to the ones I bought for my wedding... So this is just too much crystal to keep around. Especially in our small South End apartment. I came to the decision that I would give the whole "eBay Game" a try. And it is totally cool!

I tested the idea of selling things online by putting just one of the vases up for auction. It was a William Yeoward "Mimi" vase.



It retailed for $525 in 2003. I put it on eBay for $40 starting. (Keep in mind, I bought it for $5.) I forgot about putting it online, and a week later I got an email that a woman in Tucson had won it with a closing price of $82. Woah!!!! Tres cool!

I set up a Pay Pal account, collected my funds and transferred them to my bank account. I shipped the vase yesterday to her. It was so easy!

I will definitely be putting the rest of my William Yeoward crystal online for auction. eBay is a wonderful thing.

Comments

Sarah said…
That's awesome! Nice work. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the one you gave me. I use it all of the time (well, whenever I get flowers) and am very careful not to put it in the dishwasher, per your instructions! :o)
Me said…
LOL! I'm glad you still like it! You are on eof the few people who I've given one to.

Popular Posts