Ovulation Pain. I Blame Bikram.

Three years ago when I hated my job and was trying for a baby, I had a discussion with one of my Bikram teachers back in Boston.

"We've been trying for a few months and nothing," I said. "Maybe it's a sign I'm not ready?"

"Could be," said the teacher. "Maybe your body isn't ready. I bet when you master Eagle pose, you'll have no problem getting pregnant. You'll be ready then. You'll wrap that leg around the other, and it will happen."

Well, shortly after that, I found a job I loved. And while I continued to dabble with the "baby path" I discovered that I was indeed not ready for a baby. I wasn't ready to stay home with a kid. And more importantly, my body wasn't ready. I wasn't mastering Eagle pose.

Until this year.

This year, I began to be able to wrap my leg around on both sides of Eagle. It took nearly five years of practicing, but I got there. And once I got there, I noticed something happen in my body once a month with precise regularity...


Every month, right around the time of ovulation, I get side pain. Right around the hip. Always on one side. The only other time I experienced this pain was when I was on a round of the fertility drug Clomid two years ago. There wasn't anything wrong with me fertility-wise, but the doctors in Boston were aggressive with pumping me full of a nice juicy dose Clomid to "pump up my ovulation."

"But," I argued, "You said my tests checked out really well and that I appear to be ovulating already. Why do I need Clomid?"

"Well," the doctor said, "This is just one way to REALLY get you super fertile. And just so you know, you will have an increased chance of multiple eggs being released on Clomid."

After two months of Clomid, which included super bitchtastic moods and wreaking havoc on my skin, I said, "Fuck this. I will never do fertility drugs again."

And I meant it. But I learned a lot about my body when I was on those drugs. The difference between my body during ovulation on it and off it keyed me into what I needed to work on to probably get pregnant naturally.

The ovulation pain dwindled away after I went off the drugs. But then it picked back up as soon as I mastered Eagle pose, which helps stimulate and balance out your reproductive system.

I am not trying to get pregnant right now. (I have a few things I need to focus on before I can commit to a baby.) But I am mentally feeling very fertile. And it appears my body is telling me the same.

Always listen to the body, people. If Bikram has taught me one super valuable thing, it is that. Fuck what the mind says. Pay attention to what your body says.

Comments

bikramyogachick said…
Hmmm. Now THAT is quite interesting! We do become very "in tune" with our bodies from this practice. I believe it's why I caught my appendix flareup this summer before it burst! Also, I've been practicing for 2 and 1/2 years and can't wrap my legs yet in eagle. It's reassuring to know that if I keep working on it I'll get there someday. You're my inspiration now for eagle! :)
Me said…
Yes! I really began to key into my body more, especially after practicing a few years. It is amazing.
Thanks for posting about this - I've never heard this mentioned in my bikram classes before...at least not specifically tying reproductive function to Eagle.

I TOTALLY AGREE agree about being more tuned into my body thanks to Bikram. I've also noticed that I've barely gotten sick during my 18 months of regular practice.
~**Dawn**~ said…
Every time I say I can feel myself ovulating each month, people give the crazy eye. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one!
Me said…
LOL! I am with you Dawn... People look at me funny too. I think most women don't recognize what it feels like... They mistake it for lower side back pain or something.

Popular Posts