Those Three Little Words...

Believe it or not, I am a finicky shopper.

No. Really.

I go out "looking" a lot. And I research online all the time, for hours. Looking at clothes, shoes and accessories... Reading fashion blogs... Following Twitter streams about trends... But actual buying? I don't do that too often.

I am picky with my $$$$. And before I plunk down (often with a huge "thud!" - I'll admit it) my loonies and toonies, I make sure I love something. And one thing that prevents me from doing just this are the following words...

"DRY CLEAN ONLY."

These are words I can not accept. Ever.

Well, not true. I can accept having to dry clean fancier dresses, suits and blazers. But sweaters? Blouses? Pants?

Hell-to-the-NO!

I have been out browsing at stores recently. And I found lots of things that nearly qualified them to be put on my "Must Consider Buying" list, till I looked at the care label inside the garment and saw those three words. Shit! Before I look at the price of something, I look at the care label. And if those three words are there, I put the garment down and walk away. This very scenario played out last week when I stopped at Banana Republic and spotted a cute cardigan...


Very sweet and girlie with the ruffle and grosgrain ribbon, yes? But my instinct kicked in and I looked at the care label. I had a brief hope that maybe it would read just "Dry Clean." (Because when it says that, you CAN wash it on a delicate cycle and hang it to dry.) And it did read that. But there was the "ONLY" bit at the end.**

Tear.

I need a nice black cardigan. But not one that I can't wash. If I have to pay a pretty Canadian penny for clothes, they better not cost me significant extra money to clean them. And I completely respect the care instructions on any garment. When it reads, "DRY CLEAN ONLY," you really need to respect it.

Otherwise, you are taking a risk with your purchase.

**The Banana Republic website lists this cardigan as "DRY CLEAN" in the care instructions for it. That is not accurate though. If you go to a store and look at the label in person, it reads, "DRY CLEAN ONLY."

Comments

MsRuckus said…
Recently picked up this sweater. Very similar but you can wash it: http://www.michaelstars.com/p-8781-Supima_34_Sleeve_Ruffle_Cardigan.php?color=TAXI&item_num=3

Popular Posts