Sausage, Fig, Cranberry & Cognac Stuffing.

Busy girl I am today!

Because The Husband and I are hosting Canadian Thanksgiving for his parents this weekend, it means I get an excuse to use my nice kitchen for some may-jah cooking. I had a small (but respectable) galley kitchen in Boston. But in our house here in Toronto, I finally have actual counter space. And all culinary enthusiasts know how important counter space is when you're working and creating.

I will be making a turkey breast for the four of us for dinner. And an organic one has been purchased from Whole Foods. I also had the butterfly it, because I will be making a turkey breast roulade. That means you cut the meat so that it is nice and flat. Then a layer of stuffing is put on it. Then the breast is rolled up and roasted.

To create less work tomorrow, I went ahead and made a few things tonight... One being the stuffing for the turkey. And it is a glamorous concoction of sausage, cranberry, fig and cognac.

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup cognac or brandy
  • 2 onions, diced
  • 3 stalks of celery, diced
  • 1/3 cup dried figs, large dice
  • 3/4 pound of sausage, casings removed
  • 3 cups stuffing mix, with dried cranberries in it
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 3 tablespoons of toasted pine nuts
  • 2 tablespoons of chopped rosemary
  • 1 egg
  • 1 1/2 cups of chicken stock
First thing you do is bring the figs, the cognac and 1/2 cup of water to a boil... Then let it simmer and cook for another two minutes. Set aside.


Next, you saute the onions and the celery in the butter for five minutes.


Then you add the sausage and cook for 10 minutes.


After that, add the figs and the liquid, rosemary and the pine nuts and cook for a few more minutes. Then dump the stuffing mix, the sausage and onion mixture, the stock and the egg in a bowl and mix together.


My mixture is in the fridge now, waiting to be used tomorrow in the turkey breast. It smells heavenly in my house right now.

Comments

Popular Posts