Currently Reading: The Feminine Mystique.


Well, actually, I just picked it up at the bookstore the other day. And I am starting it tonight. It's an old book, having originally come out in the early 1960s.

You may ask, "Why are you reading a highly criticized feminist book about the women's movement? Haven't we evolved? Isn't it already known that women kick ass over men?"

Well, I like reading books that examine the role of women throughout different parts of history. Additionally, in the past year, I have found myself coming to a many-pronged fork in my life path. I am absolutely grateful for what I have... And I count myself extremely lucky (despite the depression it has brought) to have a large number of options blatantly available to me, without having to search for them.

But therein lies my problem. Too many options. How to pick the right path? People often tell me, "Just follow your dreams." But I don't know what my dreams are exactly. I have things I want to do... But prioritizing them and getting the timing correct? That's the hard part.

I am hoping by reading a number of books over the next few months, in addition to my yoga practice, will help me quiet my mind and choose a path. I've been coasting for the past year. And it is coming down to decision time.

And in case you were wondering, the variety of books I will be reading include:
  • The Feminine Mystique
  • What To Expect When You're Expecting (Just to give me more information.)
  • Lucky Everyday
  • Committed

Comments

bikramyogachick said…
Have you ever heard of "women who run with wolves"? (Clarissa Pinkola Estes) A yoga instructor recommended it to me. I bought it but haven't started it yet. It's next on my list. :)
April Elizabeth said…
did you already read second sex? probably. But if not - soooo good.

i think everywoman should read second sex, feminine mystique and the female eunich. ITs good to understand how we arrived where we are, and what it was like before.
bikramarian said…
Some of what you say rings true for me too as I have my mini-mid life crisis (even though I'm not in midlife just yet). I just picked up Finding Your North Star by Martha Beck and it's supposed to help people find their path. I'm still in the beginning so I don't know if it will be a worthy read yet, but so far it's interesting.
Anonymous said…
I second "Women who run with wolves". don't bother with Lucky Everday, no good.
Laura
Lindy B said…
Betty's first autobiography was pretty good, too. It's called "My Life." (I think there is a 2nd autobio, though I forget the name.) I learned a lot about various points in history I'd heard about, but never really absorbed in college. I read it on vacation in AZ two summers ago - an easy, yet fascinating read. Enjoy the Mystique! :-)

Popular Posts