I Am Grateful I Don't Use Medications Often.

Bad news...

Earlier this week, I developed an ache in one of my back top right molars. I booked a dental check-up for the week after next... Thinking I could hold out till then to see what exactly the problem was.

Man was that a stupid idea.

After a back-to-back Bikram class today, I decided to get a smoothie as I walked home. I immediately felt a rush of painful cold go up my teeth and into my brain. The freeze left my brain... It didn't leave my back tooth.

I kept telling myself, "I can wait till at least Monday. Then I will see if a dentist can get me in quickly." But by 6:30pm, I couldn't take it anymore. I Googled "emergency dentist" and found the only only emergency dental service in Toronto. I called, and they told me they could see my at 8pm.

The Husband took me, and after some x-rays and $83 in total cost, the dentist informed me that I would need a root canal. The nerve in my very back molar is dead. And it was unable to heal itself from extreme heat or cold... Which is why I am now suffering from an ache and need a root canal.

Ugh. I hate root canals. I had one six years ago. And they didn't knock me out for it. All I got was Novocaine... Followed by a prescription for liquid Percoset for pain relief. I took two small doses of the Percoset over the span of three days... And I hated it. That stuff knocked me out. I couldn't function. And all from just a QUARTER OF TEASPOON dose.

I've always been like that... Any medication or substance I put into my body, it seems to work pretty quickly. Alcohol. Pain killers.

However, the emergency dental place does not do root canals. Only in very extreme cases. And mine was not extreme. So the dentist wrote me a prescription for liquid antibiotics (cuz I can't swallow pills - don't hate!) and told me to call a dentist on Monday and get a root canal booked for the end of the week.

So I left the office, still in mild pain. And walked across the street to a drug store. Ten minutes later, I had my prescription filled (which I didn't have to pay a single cent for - I love you Canada! No co-pay!) and also picked up a small bottle of Children's Tylenol. I got home and took both immediately.

Twenty minutes later... Almost no pain. Just a hint of throbbing, But I barely notice it. That's how quickly my body reacts to medications. And I am actually very grateful for that.

Comments

Dr. Roca said…
A root canal should relieve the pain. When you have the root canal try just taking over the counter medication such as Advil. Usually NSAIDS will do the trick alone. I rarely Rx percocet after root canals. If done properly there should be minimal pain. If I can be of further assistance please visit me at www.rocadental.com Also check out the root canal page there to see what is done.
Allie said…
Oh goodness! I hope you feel better soon! Glad the meds helped. I am the same way - I can take 1/2 a kids dose of Benedryl and be out like a light in seconds.
I am the same way. Hubs calls it opiate naive. I'm also a cheap date when it comes to alcohol. Guess I'd make for a cheap junkie too.

Hope you feel better soon. I am currently in the middle of a getting some veneers and nothing is worse than spending hours of time at the dentist!!!

xoxo

Popular Posts