Oh Natalie... This Doesn't Work On You.

I saw this picture over on Style.com this morning and thought the same thing as one of my fellow Tweeters...


"What's the point?"

This is the lovely Natalie Portman wearing the Rodarte for Target mustard dress.

This dress photographed beautifully in an issue of Vogue of few months back... And the style-chic geeks on the Internet got all excited.

"Rodarte at Target?" we sqee-ed.

We could barely wait for that December day when the products would launch in stores and online. But then it came... And our excitement died down dramatically... The pieces mostly would not do. The polished whimsy that you normally get from the high-end Rodarte line was scratchily done goth-style for Target line.

No woman over the age of 25 could get away with wearing this line for the most part. There were a few pieces that made the exception... But overall, the line was a dud. Targeted mostly for teenage girls. The whole look lies "flat."

That's why I don't get what Natalie Portman was thinking. Yeah, it's cook of her to wear a piece from the low-end line and mix it with some high-end stuff. But this dress does not work on her. I am used to a more gamine and fun look on her... This whole look is just limp.

Comments

Mary said…
Ehhh, I agree, it doesn't quite work for Natlie Portman in this photo. However, I had to comment because my friend wore the black version of this outfit at New Years, and it looked absolutely stunning! She's tiny though, and I think it would only really work on her body type. She tied the bow at the neck in front and off to the side, which made it look not as flat as the way Natalie is wearing it. She paired it with some black sheer vertically striped tights and patent leather tuxedo oxford flats. For some of the night she wore it with a dressy blazer. Anyway, the whole outfit looked both modern yet from another time period at the same time. it was gorgeous! Unfortunately, the rest of the party wasn't dressed up at all :-P but I guess that's beside the point. :)
Me said…
The way your friend wore it sounds fabulous!
tracik said…
Oh! Not a good look at all for Natalie. This outfit is a definte miss.
That Girl! said…
I have to say that the line was so poorly made that I'm shocked to see her in this dress. I actually tried it on at the store and the polyester feel was too much for me.

I don't really have a problem with celebrities mixing high and low just like the rest of us and I don't think she doesn't look cute but I'm just a little surprise that of the entire line (I got all the sequined stuff) this was the piece that "spoke" to her.
Bayjb said…
I don't actually hate the dress but I hate the jacket over it. And I love Rodarte but the Target line does look kind of cheap.
Tinkerbell gone bad. booooooo!
MsRuckus said…
This dress and Natalie in it are perfection: http://www.fabsugar.com/6361993

Popular Posts