"It's Part Of The Healing Process."

I've spent the past 33 (almost) years of my life abusing my body.

No. Don't get me wrong. I haven't done drugs... Had drinking binges... Or random promiscuous sex... (Man, my life is boring.) But I have lived like many of us live. I have spent a lot of time mistreating my body with the following wonderful (sincerely) things:
  • Arby's & Taco Bell... And all kinds of fast food.
  • COFFEE!
  • Processed junk food.
  • CHEESE!
  • Diet soda after diet soda. (If you're gonna drink this shit, just drink the real stuff. At least it will cause you to be more contentious of your caloric intake.)
On top of all this, I never drank water. Not even when I lived in Arizona. In fact, I never drank anything, except for maybe two sodas a day. I guess my body was like a camel when it came to water... It was preserving every ounce I did drink. But don't be misguided... This is a bad thing. And now, I at the age of 32 and three-quarters, I am trying to reverse all the damage I have done to my body.

But the human body is a magical thing. Probably one of the most magical things in the Universe. Because the human body has the ability to heal itself. Sure, not in every case. Some damage is irreversible, whether you did something to cause it or not. But in many cases, you can stimulate your body to begin healing itself.
  • You know if your body needs healing. If you pay attention to it, it will tell you. Putting the wrong things in to it? You probably will gain weight, or lose it if your body can't digest what you give it.
  • Putting too much stress on your joints with some activity you like to do? You main sprain or tear something.
  • Can't sleep at night? You're not able to calm your mind and quiet your thoughts.
These are just a few obvious examples. And in order for me to avoid these things, I do Bikram yoga. It works for me. I don't have back problems anymore. And I never have trouble sleeping at night after I have gone to class. But even after practicing for over five years, I still have trouble in class... Like tonight. (You can read about it here.)

Yep. Too much coffee before and too much water DURING class made for an uncomfortable session this evening. But I know enough about my body to know that this mistreatment made my body want to get rid of what I had just put into it. And the quickest way for it to do that was to give me acid reflux and throughout the entire second half of the class.

Not fun. I couldn't even just lie on my belly during class. I had to roll on my side to take the pressure of my chest and stomach.

But I learned a lesson because my body "spoke" to me. "Don't fucking drink coffee right before class or guzzle your water down during class, asshole!"

Ah... The magical healing process.

Comments

bikramyogachick said…
Isn't it amazing how loud the yelling of the body is, yet some chose to ignore it? I'm so glad that Bikram yoga helps us to "hear" better.
thedancingj said…
HAHA - perfect. I certainly resemble that remark.
Dan said…
Life is a learning process. I should have known better than to eat an entire Godiva chocolate Santa in one sitting the other day.
Anonymous said…
You might want to check up on recent research which shows moderate caffeine intake is beneficial. Past research which claimed the harmful effects were exaggerated and the studies poorly conducted.

There's a reason your body enjoys caffeine.

Popular Posts