Style Oppression.

In the fall of 1995, I rushed a sorority as a college freshman. I spent about a year and a half in that sorority. Ultimately, I decided the bonds of artificial sisterhood weren't strong enough to warrant my time... And I moved on to other things. Plus, I really didn't have a lot in common with my "sisters." But during those 18 months that I was in the sorority, I never once was told specifically how to act or what to wear.

Apparently I wasn't in a real sorority. Because, nowadays at least, your "sisters" tell you exactly how to dress. What to wear and what not to wear...


What Makes The Cut:
  • Skinny jeans
  • Dark skinny or straight-cut cords
  • Jeggings
  • Flat boots worn OVER jeans
  • Tory Burch flats
  • Non-sky high hooker heels
  • Cardigans over tank tops
  • Boyfriend blazers
  • V-neck or crew-neck sweaters
  • Flowy (non-frumpy) blouses

What Will Get Your Ass Thrown Out of the Chapter House:
  • Super-flared jeans
  • Cropped pants
  • Leggings worn as pants
  • Khakis
  • Having a muffin-top
  • Low-cut tops
  • Sleeveless tops
  • Tank tops
  • Open-toed shoes
  • White shoes
  • High-heeled going out boots
  • Cheapo-looking shoes

There is more to the list... And it makes me wonder, "How do any of these potential girls express themselves style-wise if they are told specifically what to and what not to wear?"

Man! And I thought my sisters were bitchy whores because they didn't like that I didn't like to party and act like a bitchy whore myself.

Comments

Unknown said…
I saw this on Jezebel, too (loooove Jezebel). I wasn't in a sorority, but this totally reminded my of junior high. The thing back then was to have a bright colored tee-shirt with the sleeves rolled up, pegged jeans, and socks that matched the tee-shirt pulled over the jeans. One day, some beotch who I didn't even know asked me accusingly why my socks didn't match my shirt. Even at that tender age, I was like, "Huh? What? Are you joking?" Some things never change...
Michelle said…
That is so ridiculous!
I'm beyond self concious in skinny jeans. I would not do to well in that sorority.
JPenn said…
What are jeggings? I think in general their ideas about footwear are accurate. Skinny jeans just aren't appropriate for most women in my opinion...but I can't say I am surprised. This among many other various reasons, is why I never joined a sorority, and never would...ever.
bikramyogachick said…
Jeggings. Hmm. interesting. Skinny jeans look terrible on me. I'm too hippy. My ass would get thrown out quicker than you can say "bitchy whores!"
Vanessa said…
I would get kicked out. Skinny jeans are not my thing and therefore no boots over my jeans...
Marzz said…
Ok, first of all I would never let anyone tell me what to wear or not to wear! But you gotta admit some of those are good rules, especially 'leggings worn as pants' will get your ass kicked out of the sorority.... ha! Jeggings paired with non-sky hooker heels can't be good though.

Popular Posts