Two Weeks In, A New Fixed Firm?

I am still playing "catch-up" in the Bikram 101 Challenge. I am scheduled to do two classes tomorrow, and perhaps another two on Sunday. But no matter what... I a more or less two weeks into the challenge. And so far, I am feeling great!

I've had a few rough classes, I won't lie. Teachers here in Toronto keep the room much hotter than I had been used to the previous five years I practiced in Boston. Great for detoxing... But it totally drains me! Two nights ago I really pushed myself in Standing Bow Pulling pose. Then, after that, I was spent. My head began to hurt. Things were getting blurry. My hands were shaking.

You're going to have bad classes in a challenge. And good classes. And breakthroughs. Like tonight...

Class was going well. I felt good. I had energy. Things were rocking. And I guess it wasn't just me that was thinking this about my practice. The teacher must have thought I was doing well too.

After the first set of Fixed Firm, the teacher came over to stand by me. She instructed the class to go back into the pose for the second set. After I went back and got into position, she wrapped my towel around my knees. She held them down securely, and told me to bring my hands and arms crossed in front of my chest. Then, instead of coming back up the usual way, she had me pull myself up using purely my abs with my arms still crossed in front of me.

"What the what?" I thought. "A different version of Fixed Firm?"

It took a lot of ab strength for me to bring myself straight up. But I did it. Don't know if I will do it again soon... But It was good to see myself progressing after having a week of rough classes.

Comments

bikramyogachick said…
hmmm..that is interesting! And took alot of core strength I'm sure!
Duffy Pratt said…
There are spots where some teachers try to squeeze something extra out of the series. Another common one is coming out of wind relieving pose very slowly lowering the legs to get some lower ab work.

We have one teacher who laughs at people who pay such careful attention to this sort of thing and then do the sloppiest situps.

It sounds iike the challenge is going great for you. Congrats.

Popular Posts