Grunge grows up.

Ah... Fall 1992. I was a sophomore in high school. And my favorite things to wear included:

  • Reasonably baggy jeans. (Not too baggy, mind you. I wasn't a gangsta wanna-be!)
  • Solid color tight shirts. (No prints for me, thankyouverymuch!)
  • Flannel shirts, worn tied around my waist.
  • Doc Marten shoes. (Not boots. Just laced-up, black shoes.)

These were easy-to-wear and comfortable clothes. And it was "preppy" back then to wear "grungy" clothes. Two years later, at the beginning of my senior year, we began wearing the baby-doll dresses. So the "grunge" phase really was only limited to my senior year in high school; and really only limited to the two or three days a week that I didn't have to wear my cheerleading uniform to school.

Well, the godfather of grunge appears to be touching back on his roots. In the early 90s, legend has it that Marc Jacobs (the favorite designer of yours truly) thrusted his "grunge" style on America while designing at Perry Ellis. Nearly 14 years later, the man releases his Fall 2006 collection with a very grown-up "grunge" feel to it.

In this fashion week video shot by Style.com, Monsieur Jacobs' fall collection is rich in the same wooly-textures from long ago, but is paired with much more sophisticated cuts and yummy accessories; including hats and gloves for evening wear!

I can imagine myself walking the gray streets of Boston next winter wearing some of these pieces. Especially the creamy wool gloves and the grey beany.

The gloves are very lady-like an proper. But look so comfortable and milky-warm. And the beany is just very sexy. I would wear jeans, a dark-grey cowl-neck sweater, knee-high field boots, the gloves and the hat. My bag of choice for this ensemble would be some soft and slouchy clutch bag.

So divine!

Comments

Popular Posts