Required reading.

One of the things that my husband found most attractive about me when we met was the fact that I was always reading. On the subway. Before bed. During meals at home. In Central Park on Sunday afternoons. In the bubble bath. (I go through books and magazines pretty quickly.)

Now, because I read quite the variety of things (books that are social commentary, popular fiction, 1960s chick-lit, modern day chick-lit, biographies, non-fiction, every monthly fashion magazine in available in french and english, etc..) I have put together a list of what I consider to be fascinating pieces to have on hand to read and re-read in your home.

Fashion Books:


Blahnik by Boman
I was walking past a shop called Motley on Tremont Street last fall and saw this book standing in the window. I didn't even have to go in and peek at it... I knew I had to have it. So I marched straight to Barnes and Noble at the Pru and went directly to the "Art and Fashion" section. Of course the book was there. And I grabbed it, walked to the cashier and plunked down my BN member card.

The book features photographs of Manolo Blahnik shoes styled in various colorful scene. The pictures are crisp and clean. And they would make great framed photos for a dressing room or bathroom.


Chanel - The Metropolitan Museum of Art
About a year ago, the MET (in New York City) had an exhibit on the Chanel fashion house through the ages. I was dying to get down there and go see it, but never got around to it. I was bummed, but felt redeemed when I saw this book on display at Barnes and Noble. It features pictures of everything that was displayed. The pictures have a soft focus to them, but you can still see the details and the fit of the pieces.


Chick-Lit (Past and Present)


Valley of the Dolls
A classic. There aren't many women my mother's age who haven't read this book. But I don't think a lot of women my age and younger have read it. It should be required reading for all women when they're in college. It's the story of three young women living their lives in NYC and Hollywood in the 1940s and follows them into the 1960s. The drama.. The tragedy... The addiction to sex and sleeping pills (i.e. "dolls")... It's a captivating book.


Shopaholic
This series by Sophie Kinsella was one of the first true pieces of chick-lit I read while living in NYC. And it follows the modern-day chick-lit formula perfectly. You know, "Bubble-headed young woman who likes shopping and dating... Not really too focused on career... Becomes un-lucky with money and men... Overcomes dramatic situation that allows her find both money and man in the end of the book." Despite the description, it's a really lovely read.


Bridget Jones' Diary
This one became an instant classic. However, I have to wonder that if it had been written just a few years later, Helen Fielding might have made the character share all her thoughts on a blog, rather than hand-written in a journal.

Fashion Magazines


Vogue
Some people call it the "fashion bible." I don't. It's a fantastic magazine. And yes, we've all heard about the legendary "Vogue Accessories Closet" where goodies sent by fashion house publicisists. So Vogue is the leader when it comes to writing about high fashion. And the editorials on non-fashion stuff is always an excellent read.


InStyle
InStyle is a fun magazine. You know when you pick up an InStyle you will get to see a variety of fashion pieces in a variety of price ranges. Also, there's a more "flakey" quality to the magazine. And I don't mean that in a bad way. For example, I would classify Vogue as "severe" fashion editorial, where as I would classify InStyle as "easy going" and "carefree." Plus, they're Fashion Flashback and Beauty sections totally rock.


Elle
The "Elle Shops" section. Enough said about what makes this magazine so great.


Harpers Bazaar
I've never liked the name of this magazine. It seems outdated. But the content insude it is always enjoyable. Especially the "Fabulous at Every Age" section.


Allure
Allure is really more of a beauty magazine than a fashion magazine. But when it comes to fashion, I have always loved their "splurge" and "steal" sections. You will want to read Allure when you want diet, haircare, spa and tanning tips.


Vanity Fair
Okay. So not technically a fashion magazine. But, the magazine is so chic and the commentary of Graydon Garter is always in style. Also, the March issue includes fashion pictorials styled by Tom Ford. So, by default, it gets added into this category.


There are so many more books I could list here. I will try to put together a full list eventually. There are other magazines to add to. The above are what I subscribe to, but I buy many more from the newsstand.

Comments

Popular Posts