Best Bolognese In Boston: Via Matta.

Restaurant Week isn't until next week... But The Husband and I decided to try a place last night that we hadn't ever been to in the five years we have lived in Boston... Via Matta.



It's tucked away from any main drag in Boston, in a corner of a building, near Exhale Spa. It's so easy to not notice it. And it's a shame that I had been so ignorant of it, because it's one of the best places to eat in Boston.

The space is cozy, but they don't shove the tables on top of each other. We sat a two-top and had plenty of space around us. We were very comfortable. And the lighting was an orange glow, which made the whole space feel more rustic, as a Tuscan-style restaurant should reflect.

For a starter, we shared a plate of bruschetta that had eggplant and tomatoes on it. It had a good crunchiness to it that I like. (Toasted bread is one of my most favorite things on Earth to eat!) And for dinner, The Husband had some hand-made sunchoke ravioli, while I had my "must-have" meal of bolognese.

Another one of my "most favorite meals on Earth" is pasta with meat sauce. Specifically, bolognese sauce. I am very picky about it, and have tasted plenty of "shit-tastic" versions in Boston. (Davios, I'm talkin' 'bout you! You suck at it!) But the version at Via Matta was AMAZING. And it had a spicy kick to it that both The Husband and I fell in love with.

We did order dessert after our meal, a flourless chocolate cake, but we weren't in love with it. It was very dense and rich, as it should be, but we haven't had much of a sweet-tooth lately.

We did share a carafe of red wine with our dinner, and that was wonderful. But I didn't try any specialty cocktails. So I think I may have to go back soon and sit in the bar to try them. (Anyone up for hanging out?)

I would absolutely go back to Via Matta in a heartbeat. The space and the service were great. (No one rushed us through our meal. It was like being in Italy!) And the food really kicked ass.

Comments

Vanessa said…
If I was in Boston, I'd be there with you in a heartbeat. This is exactly my kind of restaurant!
Anonymous said…
Next time you go there, you should try the Brick Chicken dish - it's chicken cooked under a brick, and it's the best chicken I've ever eaten. Like, so good, I've had dreams about it. Seriously - melt in your mouth deliciousness.
Dish This! said…
or try the "mascarporeos" -- i'll be blogging about them soon,it's like a fancy, make your own oreos with mascarpone. yum!

Popular Posts