Crack Is Probably Cheaper & Will Get You Just As Buzzed.

On my way to work today, I popped in to Starbucks to get my daily double-tall soy latte.

I always figure that I am "living on the edge" by doubling up the espresso in a small cup. But my "dangerous ways" were put to shame by the order of the guy standing behind me in line.

"Can I get the usual, please?" he asks the barista.

"That's six shots on ice, right?" asks the barista. (Who I have learned has been moved from the Starbucks on Mass Ave - near Berkley - to the South End location. Is that location closing????)

"Yep," confirms the guy. "Six shots, over a little bit of ice."

I don't even want to think about what six shots of espresso, lightly chilled, would do to me. I once, just for fun, did five shots within two hours at one of my previous jobs... When the company got a new fancy coffee machine that dispensed single shots of espresso.

I ended up lying on the floor feeling my heart pounding very fast. And I also got a little bit dizzy.

But six shots? In one drink? Oh that's just bad news. I wanted to say to the guy ordering it, "It's probably cheaper for you to just go back on crack. Starbucks is getting kind of expensive."

Comments

"Crack is probably cheaper"...that's hilarious. I can totally see this getting you another shout-out on Boston.com.
Bob said…
Reminds me of the "Murky Coffee" incident (Google "espresso over ice refuse").

Customers have the right to do wacky things I guess.
Me said…
They certainly do!

I just wonder how his heart handles it. holy cow!
Kris Lucius said…
That is only about the same amount of caffeine as 2-2.5 cups of regular drip coffee, and the volume of less than one.

My stovetop Bialetti makes 6 shots, and I typically will have a double espresso in the morning and put the remainder over ice at lunch.
joel said…
It's Berklee, not Berkley
Me said…
Sorry! Berklee!

Didn't mean to disrespect all those music studies students!
Anonymous said…
I used to work at a local restaurant where we could have as much espresso as we wanted. Yeah, it might seem like a dream come true but things like that shouldn't go unchecked. My boss drank at least two giant fish bowls of espresso and cream a day. Each one usually had about four shots. Hrmm, I wonder if he's the same guy at Starbucks.

Sleep is so overrated.
Dan said…
That's messed up. Six shots of anything is overkill. Nutty caffeine freak.
Anonymous said…
It's called a Deep-Six and guaranteed to kill whatever hangover or anything bothering your stomach. Your body literally goes into overdrive and it will make you as unfit to operate a vehicle as drinking 6 shots of hard liquor.

But it'll definitely wake you up.

Popular Posts