Mass General ER: I Don't Think You're Racist.

You know... I haven't had an ER visit or a urinary tract infection in more than 10 years. (Yes, I know how lucky I am.) So tonight, I was due.

It started off this afternoon at work, actually. I had that faint hint that a UTI was coming on. But since I've only had two before, and they were over a decade ago, I wasn't quite sure.

And then, as I was cooking dinner, I became sure. And I thought, "Hey! You can suck it up until tomorrow morning, and just go to the walk-in clinic then!"

So I toughed it out for about three more hours. And it wasn't until after I went to bed that I decided, "Shit. There ain't no way I can hold off until tomorrow."

So I gathered up The Husband and we headed out the door to the MGH emergency room.

In total, I was there for only two hours. And from what one nurse told me, I was "the patient we got in and out the quickest!"

I was grateful to be "tops" at something.

As I was waiting for the nurse practitioner to bring me my medication and prescription, there was a commotion from the other side of the "Fast Track" ER area.

"Everyone who works at Masschusetts General Hospital is racist! The Ku Klux Klan run this place! If you ain't white, you ain't gettin' seen anytime soon!"

The man, who I never saw - only heard, went on like this for about 10 minutes. Security was called... And he was taken off somewhere.

"I'm sorry you had to see this tonight," one nurse said to me.

"Umm, you don't have to feel sorry," I said. "I don't come to ERs very often. So it's been quite the event."

She laughed. Working in an ER is like the ultimate test of a "customer service" job. You really do have to be prepared to deal with grumpy, frustrated sick people. I was very grateful they were able to get me in and out so quickly.

From what I gathered, listening to other people in the ER waiting area, the average time there was about 4 to 5 hours. One guy had been there since 7:30pm, and he was still waiting to hear back from the doctor who saw him to get discharged. And one guy, who had come in with minor back problems, decided to just leave because he "was tired of waiting."

So, you may be wondering how I got in and out so quickly.

Well, I think it's because I came in with a very clear description of what my problem was, and how much pain I was in from it. I wasn't modest. When the woman who checked me in asked what my pain level was on the scale, I said, "It's a 6. But I have no back pain or chills." (Which are both worsening symptoms of a UTI.)

So they knew the quickest route to diagnosing me. They handed me a pee cup, once I got into the ER area, and ran a lab test on my sample. Once they confirmed the infection, they got me a pill to take, and sat there while I took it. Then they gave me a prescription and dosing information. And they told me I would need to follow up with my own doctor in a few weeks.

So, thanks Mass General, for everything. It was a lengthy process, because of so many people needing to be seen, but I appreciate the quick turn around very much.

And I do not think you are racist.

Comments

Anonymous said…
maybe its from all the bikram yoga classes - sweat and nastiness from class! yuck!
Vanessa said…
I doubt it's from Bikram! Anyway, hope you feel better soon.
Me said…
It's definitely not the Bikram. I change out of my clothes after class right away. I also shower right when I get home, if I don't get a chance to at the studio.

I think it's Honeymooners Disease. I'm not a honeymooner... But, well.. Sometimes we like to pretend we are.
Allie said…
Ugh! UTI's are so awful!

I totally think you got in and out fast because they could handle your needs simply and didn't need to extend a lot of resources. Sure, a UTI probably isn't as painful as a broken bone, but they didn't have to line up an x-ray for you.

Feel better soon!
Me said…
Thanks Allie and Vanessa!

I feel so sympathetic for all my friends who have told me things like, "Oh yeah.. I get those every few months."

I know how lucky I have been not to have one in so long. But I just can't imagine having them that often.

If I did, I would never have sex again.

Popular Posts