Yes, Please... The Woman I Want To Be... And The Girl I Can't Stand.

I read quite a bit. I can't even tell you how many books I'd downloaded and got through while traveling for seven months (because, well, I left my Kindle on the plane on my trip to Peru in September)... But one thing I can tell for sho...

I'm real good a the whole reading thingy.

In the past month, I've gotten through four books... Three of which were auto biographies written by women I find... Hmm... Worthy of having their books attempted to be read?

Sorry. I don't mean for that to be a question. I almost don't know how to articulate it.

I guess I'll start with this...


These are the three books I read. And I will tell you, just like Goldilocks, that there was:

One that I just couldn't stand.
One that was 'meh, okay."
One that I enjoyed quite a bit.

And we'll start in reverse order with the one I enjoyed quite a bit so that in the event you care about my opinion and want to know what I loved about it... You can stop reading after you get through it.


I love Amy Poehler. I love her honesty in this book... And yes, even her constant mentioning whining throughout the book about how hard it is to write a book.

She doesn't pretend that the creative process isn't tough. And that is how it is for me. Most of what I write is crap. Creative blocks can be noted if you look at my blogging history and see in the time lines MONTHS where I was "super-duper-busy-and-didn't-have-time-to-write".

That was BS.

I was blocked. I was afraid to put anything in digital print simply because I was afraid it would be so bad.

Now?

Hmm. I don't care. I don't care if what I write is lame or bad. This is a stream of my life and thoughts. It' a capture of essays in my life. And that's what Amy's book is... And it's honest, funny, and enjoyable.


DvF is one of my favorite designers. This book was a lovely and inspiring walk through her history to get where she is today... The failures and all. And I appreciated that.

It was kind of boring for me.

Worth a read, though... Because I feel like more eloquent and sophisticated men and women will identify and appreciate her sharing of her story far better than I did.

Plus, she doesn't use any swear words. What's a bio without at least one swear word?

Clearly, she is far too much sophisticated woman for me.

And that is not the woman I am. Or want to be.

The first book I read of the three was this disaster...


It's weird. Disturbing. Though, I actually appreciate the stories Lena shares.

What I didn't like, I realized, was her.

I have a love-hate relationship with her show. I find the "Hannah" stories so boring. It's the other characters that populate her life - and their story lines - that make the show for me.

The book didn't pull me in. It was a struggle to even finish it. I'm not sure if that's because I just don't find her compelling.

I love quirky characters. LOVE THEM. I feel like she tries too hard to be quirky... And comes off as totally faux.

My opinion: Don't waste your time.

Comments

Unknown said…
You have great taste in books Heather! Riding your books about women wave I recently enjoyed "The Empty Glass" fiction thriller involving Marilyn Monroe, "The Paris Wife" fiction with Hemingway's first wife and "Where Did You Go Bernadette" super funny with a sick twist.
Me said…
LOVED The Paris Wife. Read it about a year and a half ago. So good. And Where Did You Go Bernadette was an awesome read too... Read that AFTER I got back from Antarctica.

I will have to check out The Empty Glass though.

Popular Posts