Bikram 101... Who's In?

My practice has sucked ass lately. It is my own fault. I have let mental exhaustion get to me in the past few weeks... And I feel so low-energy. I can barely make it home after work these days... Let alone to the Bikram studio.

Really though, there is no excuse. I mean, it's not like we "think" in a Bikram class. So the excuse of "mental fatigue" is a very lame one. And I find myself itching to not only get back on my Bikram path, but also to challenge myself again.

Last time I challenged myself, I did 60 days of Bikram. This time, I'm aiming for 101 days.

Yes, 101. In fact, we'll call it "Bikram 101."

So, why 101 days? Why not just 100 days? You can read a little about it here, but the basic breakdown of the various challenge time-frames are:
  • 30-Days: A readjustment period... Getting your body primed for the second 30 days. Just getting through a 30 consecutive day challenge is a difficult for most people. I say it jokingly, but truthfully, "I had to leave a job in order to do my first 30-day challenge." I couldn't mentally do it unless it was my one focus for 30 days straight.
  • 60-Days: The second 30 days is where you get to the "emotional stuff." While you experience the mental exhaustion "here and there" in the first set of 30 days, you experience it far more frequently in the second set. Anger. Tears. Hysterical laughter. It all comes out here... Both in and out of class.
  • 90-Days: I've never done 90 consecutive days... But this is when your body suddenly (or so people claim) changes shape. I noticed in both my 30 and 60-day challenges that things would tighten up. But I have been told that the third set of 30 is when you start to see the yoga practice pay off physically in your body. You've been feeling it up until this point... But now you can actually see it.
  • 100-Days: Just to make things a nice even number...
  • 101-Days: Because, I have read, you just have to show up for one extra day.
I am thinking of starting on January 1st. This means I would end on April 11th, which is one day before my 33rd birthday. And because I like to dabble in numerology, April 11th is the end of a 9-year cycle for me.

How fitting and appropriate.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Can you do doubles to make up missed days? What if you aren't near a studio, can you practice where you are (hotel room listening to Bikram?).
Does advance count as a class? WHat if you take another style of yoga for a day (?) just curious. I might join you even though I promise myself never again, any time I do a challenge.
Heidi said…
that is freakin' awesome :)

and btw we have the same birthday :) which is AWESOME!!! :)
bikramyogachick said…
I'm doing 101 starting Jan 1st too. I am thinking of starting a group blog or at the very least, having a gadget on our pages that links to all other 101 challengers. There are a few more yoginis who are going to do it to. Will be awesome to have the support! I love the numerology aspect of it for you. Yes, very fitting! Alright, let's do this! I'm so in!
Me said…
Anonymous: I think there will be guidelines, as there is apparently a group doing it across North America... But I think advanced classes should totally count... I mean, you're doing all 26 original postures, plus dozens more! I will post about the guidelines when I get them.

Heidi: that is awesome about the b-days! Go Aries!!!!

BYC: a group blog is an awesome idea!!!!!
Duffy Pratt said…
Good luck with this. It's an amazing thing to try.

Most studios use the following guidelines when they sponsor a challenge: Doubles count. As do more, we had a woman do five in a day on our last challenge. If you bring a receipt for a class at another Bikram studio, you get credit for it. Advanced classes count. Home practice and practice in other styles may be good for the soul, but don't get studio credit.
I wanted to say this last challenge but I am curious because I may do something similar with regular yoga. I kind of see doubles as cheating. Isn't the point to do it every day. it seems like skipping a day here and there and doing a bunch of doubles at the end pretty much defeats the purpose and then it is a 60 class challenge and not a 60 day challenge. Thoughts on supplementing with videos on days that you can't make the class. Seems more consistent and in line with the "challenge" part of it.

Good luck if you move forward! I look forward to watching you progress!
Me said…
Thanks Duffy!!
Min/El said…
I'm in! I don't have a blog yet, but will soon!
Marzz said…
Missus, count me in! But Bikram Studio in Richmond Hill isn't open on Jan 1 (something about too much alcohol fr yogis the night before staining the carpet...). So I'll do 101 beginning Jan 2. I just finished a 100 day challenge on Nov 5, so this should be no problem.
Marzz said…
Interesting... I'm an Aries too. Turning 49 (I'm much older that most of you I guess) on March 25, 2010.
Me said…
Good for you Marlazz! 100 days? I am in awe!

I'm not sure if the Bloor studio will be open either... But I have to imagine that somewhere in Toronto, a studio will be open on New Years Day.

Go Aries!! We fire signs love the heat!
Rebecca said…
I'm in, but I won't make 101 days due to travel and lack of a studio there.

But I'll do my best!

Rebecca
Me said…
Ultimately, Rebecca, that's all that matters... That you try.

Be fearless! Go for it!
Liz said…
Hi. It's my first time commenting ( : I am IN! I absolutely love your blog.

Liz
Atlanta, GA
Me said…
Aww! Thanks Lizzy! And yay! You're going to go for it!!!

Popular Posts