Right Of Passage: A Birkin Designed At Birth.

My friend Frogger, who is coming to Hong Kong/Phuket with me in two weeks, sent me the following message last evening...

I had coffee at a Boston hotel with the PR team, one of whom is from Hong Kong. She confirmed that the Hermes store in Hong Kong is legendary. So legendary, in fact, that when girls are born in Hong Kong an ostrich pattern and color is picked out for them to make their Birkin bag when they reach adulthood.
UNREAL!

Here I am, a mid-30s gal... Dying to buy one... But have no idea if I will be able to EVEN IF I HAVE THE MONEY, as they are hard to acquire in the first place. (No. There is no "wait list." But they - from what I understand - are selective to whom they sell them to in the store.) And little girls born in Hong Kong have them entitled to them at birth!

This topic came up because I told Frogger I must visit the Hermes store while in Hong Kong. Not to buy anything. Just to visit it... Because as she points out, "It is legendary." I arrive a day before she does (being the globe-trotting travel writer that she is she's hard to pin down these days), and she has made me promise not to visit it without her.

She is convinced I will buy something while there. But I will not.

Not even if they have a 30cm Birkin in potiron available.

I will make sure, though, that in my next life I am reincarnated as a female to a wealthy family in Hong Kong... So that I will too will have my Birkin designed for me at birth.

Comments

Back when I worked at the concierge place, we would get a lot of requests for Birkins. We would work with this broker, who was essentially an eccentric lady in her fifties who collected them like mad and sold them for several times their actual value.

If that's not an option, we would tell them to do it the "civilian" way -- go to Hermes often, shop all the time, drop TONS of cash -- ALWAYS with the same salesperson. When Birkins come in, you might get the call.

Popular Posts