You Say "Cornhole." I say "Bean Bag Toss."

Admittedly, The Husband and I don't get out much. Between aggressive jobs for each of us, and a karma job of teaching yoga for me, we don't get much time for socializing. So our knowledge of lawn games is based on the games we played as a child and early adulthood, post-university.

These games included:
  • Croquet
  • Badminton
  • Lawn Darts
  • Slip-n-Slide
Oh, and Bean Bag Toss.

But apparently, these days, no one calls it "Bean Bag Toss." No. That is just not cool. It, as we recently learned, goes by the much cooler and sexier name of "Cornhole."

Imagine our surprise when a visit in May to my sister and her husband's house had us awkwardly learning of this new name.

My brother-in-law, a future male nurse, asked us if we wanted to "play some cornhole?"

We weren't sure if this was a funny joke of some kind. Because if you knew my BIL, you could easily guess that it was. But no, as we learned, the game indeed was called "Cornhole."

Then, just a few weeks later, we were in NYC visiting some friends. The husband was late meeting us because he had been doing some business... And in between phone calls with the lawyers, they were playing Cornhole.

"Since when is it called 'Cornhole'?" The Husband asked me.

"I have no idea," I said. "I thought it was just tossing bean bags."

We are so un-chic and sheltered. And we suck at the game.

Comments

Popular Posts