Comparing Coffee Flavors To Movies.

I think I have mentioned how much I like having an espresso bar 30 feet from my front door.

What I may not have mentioned, though, is how much I like the staff there. They are so knowledgeable when it comes to all things coffee... From brewing techniques to flavors, they are quite opinionated.

And I love this. This and the fact the place has free WiFi... But I digress.

Every time I go in, if I am looking for a cup of coffee and not an espresso drink, I ask whoever is behind the machine what flavor of bean I should get. Currently, there are two flavors they are offering:
  • Sidama, from Ethiopia
  • Brazil, from Brazil (duh)
I had been going for a Trifecta or Slow Pour of the Sidama most Saturdays when I am in there. It is an aggressively flavored coffee. And when the Trifecta machine is used to brew it, or the slow pour method is used, it has a great taste without the bitterness.

But this weekend, I was able to finally try the Brazil. And WOW! I loved it!

It was gentler, but still intelligent.

I was talking about the difference between the two with one of the baristas this week...

"Which one do you like best?" I asked him.

"Well," he began, "I would say Sidama, but that isn't the mature answer."

I laughed. "Why?"

"Sidama is like the big action 3-D flick you go to see. It has a lot going on, and you just love being in its presence. The Brazil is more like the arty film you go to see."

This made sense.

"So," I said, "the Sidama is like Transformers 3... And the Brazil is like Midnight in Paris?"

"Exactly!" he said.

But then he took it back.

"Actually," he corrected, "the Brazil is more like Tree of Life."

I hoped that he didn't mean that the Brazil was going to prompt me to questions faith and the meaning of life. But then, coffee can make you do weird things.

Comments

Popular Posts